The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Ah, to Wait, and Hope.
How sweet it is, when I finish a novel I loved, to sit and let the feeling of it carry me a way for a few moments after turning the final page. What an amazing book. It is the kind of story that clings to you, and you can tell that your mind may be changed forever.
It was hard not to over-notice the Shakespearean 'Romeo and Juliet' thread, which (though pervading all cultures in history) was probably not so overused in popular novels at the time of its penning as it is now, thanks to popular media. Very interesting was how it started with the perception that Edmond and Mercedes were the Star-Crossed-Lovers. Equally interesting was how I came to almost loathe Mercedes: I have a hard time with masochistic piety. I originally misaligned the hearts of the two (to me) important women, but with the Herreras effectively written out came to adore the end result.
I'm the end I'm very excited to move on to another Dumas novel, but wait until my next shift only so that I might get ANY studying done. I haven't got much at all done, being riveted to the book as I have been.
And on a note to James:
After reading the book I agree: the movie (while still a favorite due to the guys-with-swords thing) IS weak-sauce in comparison. The kind of neutered and mangled it actually...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect