Quinceanera

My husband just wrote about the obsolescence of the Quinceanera. In it's CURRENT incarnation I agree; however, I agree with its foundation: graduating a from girl to woman. We have our own "Western" way of it now, High School Graduation, even some Sweet Sixteens. This Sioux Coming-of-Age Ceremony represents what that graduation should be, and used to be.
I may be biased: watching an informal ceremony where a Duke's son was pronounced a man by his father, around a Mixed Weapons fire, by the giving of a dagger and a repeating of the deeds that proved that boy a man... It struck me. Being a Man, or Woman, should carry responsibility, be a proven title, not just an age limit.


http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129611281

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect