100918 Sea March Revel

So with my husband at drill this weekend I was disposed to venture to an SCA potluck on my own. I used to be very able to go places on my own, having been known to take a Scottish tram into the middle of Glasgow to see church's on my own when no one else was interested in going. In the last few years I've been anxious to even drive myself alone to the store! I spent an hour, dress in my fencing garb, sitting at the computer recompiling the persona I want to register (putting away Julianna Wilkins, the Pirate Captain, in favor of Katryn Weir: a late 16th Century saucy Scots-Irish). Finally, after txting my husband that I might not go at all, I put up Rook and ventured out sans Rapier Gear or Food for feast (I had not had time to go shopping).
After a few wrong turns I finally arrived... And sat in the parking lot for five minutes watching the Fighters pack up the erics, and contemplated just fleeing! So much for a Saucy Scot. Hubby finally txted that I better at least go up, and I did.
I said hi to one of the Rapiers, who remembered me from practice (wearing my cat ears helps them remember me I think). I wandered up to a couple women and basically said "Hi! I'm new! I do rapier, archery, and embroidery. Know where I can find people like that?" Name, rank, and serial number much? Banter ensued until most peeled off. Chatted with another newbie til she peeled off as well and found myself sitting alone, stitching, until a young blonde playing Oriental plopped down in front of me. Her father (Bay-luh) joined and we sat babbling two hours away. We ate together. At one point Seamus (the Rapier master) came by and confused me for someone else for a minute (somehow I owe him a Dr Who Robot costume...) but remembered the rest of me for me. I helped him serve Latkas and applesauce to the Queen and her Attendants (glee!) and returned to my new friends.
We parted after dinner so I could get back to Rook, about 9pm. So I'd spent at least 2.5 hrs there. I was glad I'd gone. They don't play here, Bay-luh and his daughter (JR in HS, she was in 2nd grade when I graduated!) but I hope to see them at Yule :)
So thankee-sai husband for making me go. I hope to relearn the confidence I once had: so annoying to be so nervous.
Honor before Victory:
Julianna et Katryn,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect