18thC Movie: The Duchess

The Duchess (Based on a true story)?

The 18thC not being my specialty I will leave off my opinions of what's period or not for the flick. Overall seems well done. I do think it pretty in its opulence.

So funny to see the Duke moaning over the birth of a girl, now with modern science telling it's HIS fault (raspberry). However, her movie-self wishing to breast feed her daughter herself was JUST not done for a lady of her rank, so, I wonder if there is basis for that. That would make her quite rebellious indeed, almost scandelous. They would have called her unfit for her standing: having risen too high over her worth.

ah yes, and there is why in the SCA we play at chivalry. Lawful rape

All in all very good flick :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect