"Hey WeyrCat!"

-insert old Memory for K-

Today we went to the memorial service for the Kid. His unit commanders talked about him, and the friends who knew him didn't get to, but the Army tried to do well. The officer in charge of his unit shed real tears when no one was looking, and spoke the most truth of them all.

I was reminded that he was the self-proclaimed "The Supply Guy." At Shane's EFMB party he broke Lane's shovel, while trying to use it axe-wise on a beer box we had scavanged for the firepit. He asked her "Do you need a new shovel?" "No.. " she replied. Then he seperated the two halves of the shovel. It was an inibriated riot act.

The batalion(sp?) commander (I think.. The black leafed occifer.) Mentioned his wife calling the Kid's mother to console her. I had my first real tearing up of anger. They didn't spill, but I thought how horrible it is for his mother. While that LTC talks about the Kid working so hard for the Army he loved, that woman will spend her life knowing she sent her son to that Army & never got him back! Will it feel forever like he's still at Bragg? Like he's simply still gone?

They said his blood alcohol was 0.23. I think the NC law is 0.08=Inibriated. That kid was harangued until he hanged himself. My honest, cutting, opinion. "I know what happened that night," said LTC, after opening his comments stating he DIDN'T know what happened and no one had any answers. , "I know what happened that night, and it was no one's fault." Speaking directly to someone maybe? Smoothing some feathers?

Poor drunk kid who "Had dreams and goals!" they said. Too bad Army Life for single soldiers is Drinking, Gaming, and hitting up Sick Call for the latest Fayettenam STD. Angry, maybe a little.

Shane said the Kid liked me, thought I was neat.
He was the only one who called me WeyrCat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect