Anne Rice: From Queen of the Damned, to A Spiritual Confession.

As I read my book, Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice, and find a new article about her new Christian Memoir in the paper today, I weep for her old characters.

I've read all the Mayfairs. I've read all the Vampire Chronicles. I enjoyed where the two worlds came together! I read her erotic Beauty trilogy, and am currently devouring Ramses the Damned (as I never got around to reading it.) I read (by way of AudioBook) her novel on Christ's life and found it dry and almost boring. I don't only read horror novels, I actually recommend 'Lamb: Gospel according to Christ's Best Friend Biff' for a neat Christ tale. However, though its been a while, I remember being wholey unimpressed by the work as a novel.

Anne Rice is listed on my Library page as one of my favorite authors. Actually the page started as a way to track the timeline and bloodlines of her books. The bookshelf image contains almost Rice's novels exclusively! I read her son's debut novel specifically because of who his mother is! She still is one of my favorites, but now maybe I must declare "Pre-Christ"? I wasn't aware, when I read the first Christ novel, that it meant she had stopped writing her dark tales. I suppose I might have still been waiting for the next tale of Lestat and his infinitely articulate brood!

Her new book, "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" is a memoir. And though the New York Times calls the book a "crashing, mind-numing bore" and "the literary equivalent of waterboarding" I must read it. If for no other reason than to find out what happened to her. What made her abandon the books even my Catholic grandmother gave me! Did she go to Hell and Heaven too, when Memnoch stole Lestat? Or was it something more old-fashioned and dangerous, like the giving up of one's soul to an invisible, inactive, yet somehow all knowing force you must apparently fear in order to be a good person and obtain spiritual peace?

The article I stumbled upon in the Fayetteville Observer (out if North Carolina) stated "the memoir follows the release of two books in a planned four-part, first-person chronicle of the life of Jesus." That means I missed the release of the second book. Because I read her novels by publication, in an attempt to follow the line of her thoughts, I must read this novel before I try to process the Memoir.

I will finish Ramses, however. Taking it in as probably the last of her novels that will keep me up at night, just to finish the chapter.

Nov09, 2oo8 1901 est.
- From WeyrCat's Treo...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect