090604 MWR & Folly Beach

After doing my bi-yearly 9mm qual on the range for WSI, scoring a 257 *about ten points more than I've ever scored*, we made the drive from home to Mt Pleasant, SC. It took us about three hours, maybe a little more after getting stuck on the highway after what we BELIEVE was an accident after a ridiculous downpour lasting 10 minutes.
We made it in time for the last class *same classes as the last one we went to* and had a great dinner, provided. We were trying to decide what to do this weekend (if we were going to do something at all, yes) and ended up stowing a bunch of fliers for later, and headed out to find the beach at 8 pm). We crawled down an unlighted road FAR from our hotel home and found Folly Beach. The beach access was very hidden, but being seasoned and working-on-it beach crawlers, we found one we could park at and hop on. The No Lights issue that terrified me when driving now was wonderful!! We crossed the wooden bridge over the sand berm and down onto the hard packed beach. The moon on the waves is always wonderful! Silver blue. The air was so cold at first! We walked along, and I reveled in the moon ring that dipped into the black horizon. It was SO HUGE! The last time I'd seen one was also on a beach: at Wrightsville, Christmas 2008, when he asked me to marry him :)
We walked, crossing a strange stone formation leading out into the water (building a reef?) and some wooden pier legs that had no actual pier. When we finally crossed and noticed there were no more public access bridges and must be in private land judging by the nice houses with little wooden stairs straight down to the sand, we turned around.
We got back to the car, to the horrid unnatural lights of the house party and the cars, and I instantly missed the wind on the beach. My clothes felt heavy with the humidity and yet I'd been cool. I write this as we drive to the hotel home (hoping they've cleaned it, as when we arrived there were diapers in the trash can and the towels had been used).
The photos (uplaoded to Picasa Mobile and will be added/linked) are of the beautiful bridge we drove over, and a wicked spider web I saw at a gas station :P
More tomorrow, as I love reading these memories I tap out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect