Film: Sherlock (BBC)

I wanted to wait a couple days before I reviewed it, because I became unbelievably fangirly after seeing Sherlock. Here it is, 2 days later, and no sign of it subsiding. I'm twitterpated. Therefore this is less of a review of the series and more of a squee.

I watched the first season in a run, all back to back. I couldn't connect how it became so late in the day, when I was done, and wanted to know why there were only three episodes! It was so riveting that I didn't even NOTICE that the episodes where 90 minutes long. I was posting Twitter like updates on my FB, for no other reason other than I can (and I like to take notes).
Pretty sure I was hooked when the cop told John that Holmes was a psychopath. I rolled my eyes and told the screen that he ISN'T a psychopath, just a sociopath. About ten minutes later, when John related it to Holmes, Holmes said the same thing. A high-functioning sociopath. I squeed.

And I think they've implied that he's gay. Which means I guess no run-ins with Irene Adler then.
All the assumptions that Watson is Sherlock's boyfriend are hilarious too!
In fact, when the first season ended, I actually yelled aloud "NOOO! It can't END like that!" I was assured by a friend of mine that I would be even more upset at the end of season 2, and that Moffett (one of the main writers) was a cruel man. Oh, and WOW Moriarty is super unlikeable. I know, he's the bad guy, he's not really supposed to be likeable, but he's like... O_o; O_O# o_O;

ask-sherlock.tumblr.com/
Benedict Cumberbatch fits Sherlock Holmes physically, which is neat. Six feet, ridiculously thin, hawk nose (kinda). His room is perfect (by the way, if you saw the original 55 minute pilot as well, I really prefer the new one with the horrible damask everywhere)! Cumberbatch has wonderful subtle facial expressions, particularly around the eyes. And his vocal intonations! I love his Holmes, I really do. Yea yea, he's got Antisocial personality disorder, but he's friggin brilliant! I was at first agitated when he played the violin because the bow draws don't match the music playing (worse in the beginning, better near the end). Since Cumberbatch apparently learned the play the violin for this character (good man) I can only blame the editor. Either way, it's really annoying.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net
Martin Freeman as Watson is really cool. I love his take on him. He's (as he puts it in "Unlocking Sherlock") the perfect foil for Sherlock. I love the actor, his deadpan is great, for one. For second he's a cutie-pie.

The first episode/pilot "Study in Pink", which, for those who don't know, is a play on the first Holmes story/novel A Study in Scarlet. Personally I like how they used a lot of the same elements, the wedding ring, the cabbie, the poison game, but flip around what some of the clues mean. They even make FUN of them: Rache "No, (sarcasm) she was leaving an angry note in German, of COURSE it's Rachel!" *Note: in the novel it was suggested that it was an unfinished "Rachel" but it really was "Rache (n) German word for revenge".  The original pilot was 55 minutes long, the same basic story, though it was altered for the reshooting. I'm glad they did:

I feel that the second "Study in Pink" really drove home my favorite thing about Sherlock: his sociopathy. (Antisocial personality disorder). He made the same decisions in both, but there was something I liked better about him A: not being drugged in the end, B: his willingness to torture the bad-guy, C: the VANITY of his cleverness. The latter two probably aren't things I should /like/ in a hero, but I really love them in his character. I love every time he seems to get tricked or trapped by something implying he's not clever enough. It's totally McFly and "chicken"!

I really liked the "everything else is just transport", though I'm pretty sure everyone grokking Sherlock knew it was that way anyway.

I was so enrapt by this 'series' (which is really three movies per season) that I watched both seasons in one day. Then before bed, I rewatched "Study in Pink". I watched 6+1 epis today, for a total of 630 minutes or 10.5 hours of Sherlock. Man it was a great day.

 They were all great, and I couldn't possibly go over all the reasons I loved each, especially since this is already getting long (but really, it is really 6 movies we're talking about.) It's been updated to modernity perfectly, and if you watch "Unlocking Sherlock" you'll get to see Moffat and Gatiss's ideas behind it all. It's perfect really. They did a great job finding analogous eccentricities. PS. Gatiss is Mycroft. SQUEE.

Per the season two finale; The last three seconds? That's when they wait for it? The last three freaking seconds? I'm sittin here, repeating to myself "No, I know there's a third season coming, No, it's coming, I know it" and then Watson asks for one last thing, and then THE LAST... THREE... SECONDS. I could PUNCH them. If you aren't feeling empathetic rage, don't worry, watch it and you will.

*Note* I tried getting my own screencaps for this, like I usually do, but every time I try I just start watching the show. I've linked the yoinked images back to the place I found them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect