Film: Captain America (2011). I, yep, Loved it!

It wasn't a comedy but it was hilarious. The dialogue was fantastic! I was also edge of my seat the whole time. And almost teared up at the end. Fantastic movie.
Awesome suit reveal. I love the suit by the way. Seeing the tights was great, but this is so cool.

A little fact-checking on Rogers' Class-A ribbons... I hate when movies get them wrong, because they're so damned easy to look up! If you don't care about ribbons, skip to the next photo.

I mainly became curious because he's wearing a US Army Basic Parachutist badge, but I wouldn't think he'd had time to complete airborne training between not completing actual basic training and becoming a chorus girl... It was designed and approved for use in 1941, so it barely makes the movie's time period to begin with! However, the training course did exist in 1940, so I presume he would have had to complete it. I doubt he did, but putting that badge on someone's chest is pretty sure to get a nod. All you have to do is survive the hill and fall out of a plane. ;)

He's wearing the American Defense medal ribbon, the yellow one with blue, white, red bars; it represents "service before America’s entry into the Second World War". Considering he joined up during WW2, he's not eligible for this one.

The leftmost ribbon appears to be a Purple Heart with an Award Star (to denote a second injury). The last time I see the badges is while he's missing his "Medal of Valor" award ceremony, so Maybe they count getting shot up with blue steroids the first injury?

On that "Medal of Valor". The man presenting it is Senator Brandt, therefore it cannot be the Medal of Honor, which is awarded by the President. Not to belittle medals of Valor, but I can't seem to find any federal statute on them in general, so this senator could have simply had one made up I guess. Works.

On his right breast, it appears blue, which would make it the Army Presidential Unit Citation (for extraordinary heroism in action against an armed enemy occurring on or after 7 December 1941). The movie opens March 1942, so this one's good.

And then a Combat Infantryman Badge, for "Being personally present, and under hostile fire, while serving in assigned, primary infantry or special forces duty in a unit actively engaging the enemy in ground combat any time after 6 December 1941." Not sure if he was infantry, but he certainly was a special force. :P

According the some wiki on "tv tropes" the German uniform Schmidt wore was a catastrophe, but of course, I didn't notice.

Tommy Lee Jones is, of course, awesome. Stanley Tucci is amazing as Dr. Abraham Erskine. Great humor in both of them.
Making sure they're real, not just for chicks anymore.
I love Haylee Atwell as Peggy. I think I've only seen her in Pillars of the Earth, but from what I can tell she's a great actress. I LOVE when she decked the grunt. According to something I can't find anymore, she trained five days a week, military style, to be in a more military shape for the movie. Wanted a Ginger Rogers feel. You know, doing everything the men do, but backwards and in heels. She does it all beautifully. Wish I'd get to see the deleted scenes; there's something I (as a chick) was waiting for at the end that I didn't get.

Agent Smith, er, Elrond, I mean, Hugo Weaving is truly creepy as Schmidt. Like, super creepy. He just seems built to play bad guys (sorry Elrond). The CG guys did a great job of fixing the nose. I was trying to figure out how the make up department did all that!

Stan Lee: it's like finding Waldo, only way cooler.

Is it me or did the multiple motorcycle sequence scream "Endor speeders" to anyone else?

OH. I HAVE to mention it. I loved the little wings on his mask, which I understand are canon, but they just scream Mercury/Hermes. I thought of it again when I saw Rogers DISCUS the Shield!
It looks weird in snapshot, I swear it's cooler on film.


I have a qualm with the ending. Well, the in between space. Slept for 70 years. What, knocked unconscious in the crash, and while he was unconscious the arctic temps basically cryo'd him, or close enough that his amazing self-heal kept him up and running without food, water, or a bench press, for 70 years? Dude, muscles that big need a lot of food. Seriously. We are talking superhero land here though.

Love the bit after the credits. I really need to show these bits to my husband. He does NOT stay for them. I always do. If we're going to go see Avengers together, he better cool his jets or just go potty or something because EVERY Marvel I've seen leading up to Avengers has had something after the credits, and I'm NOT missing whatever's after the Avengers'!

Ok. I've ranted. I've raved. I loved it. I even tucked a buff shot in there. Winning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect