My Little Garden

 This place we moved into had an abandoned garden in the side-yard. Not big, overgrown with weeds, bordered by sad wooden barriers. I want to plant in it, I don't even know what yet. Thinking about flowers, maybe vegetables.. The trick would be keeping the dog out of it; I guess I'd have to worry about keeping bugs out of it too if it were vegetables. It's an imperfect place: off to the side so you cannot see it even from the patio. There's also the Dryer vent hanging out the side, a twisted ugly piece of metal that Husband tells me cannot be cut down to be flush with the wall. I wouldn't impede it or anything, just, pretty it up. Grate it or something. I'm leery to put food type things in front of the dryer vent. Maybe I can do something like put a little fountain or birdbath in front of it, just to hide it. Either way I picked up a cheap little set of garden tools at the Big Lots and tore the weeds out today. The dirt underneath USED to be potting soil; it seems all dead and dry now. Odd bits of garbage in it: some cigarette butts, fuses, bottlecaps. It looks much better now!
I think I'm going to remove the wood beams and put something else in. Some bricks maybe.
...Vegetables. A veggie-garden can be hidden on the side of the house, and if I want flowers I can put them in a bit by the patio so they can be seen. I have to choose what I want to grow, and when to plant, according to what's called the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone:  "10b": 35 to 40 F - 4.4 to 1.7 C: Miami, Florida; Coral Gables, Florida. I'd like to grow pumpkins. I like pumpkins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect