Coffee, Tea, or Pesticides... O_o

Ok so that's a little hokey, but I couldn't think of a good title.
I don't know anything about Fair Trade. I tried to look it up, and got confused. What I CAN understand is "Organic", and why it appeals to me in coffee.
I asked.. "Why go Organic?" Urth Caffé's website answered:
Heavy Chemicals - Coffee is the heaviest chemically treated food commodity in the world. The most common chemical used in coffee production is synthetic petroleum based fertilizers which slowly destroy the soil's fertility and seep into local water supplies.

Deforestation - Coffee trees do not naturally grow in direct sunlight, but under the shade of dense rainforest. To increase productivity, the coffee industry has developed sun-resistant coffee tree hybrids that have come to comprise approximately 70% of the world's coffee production. As a result rainforest is being cleared at alarming rates to make room for new, sun resistant coffee trees.
SO I totally just noticed that Urth is Earth. Hyuk. Hey, it's 0130 here okay?
Why pay more for coffee I can buy cheap? The whole world drinks coffee (or tea) and I'm pretty sure America sells more cups of coffee than bottles of water. I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. If those measures listed above are truly in place due to demand, I don't mind paying a little more if for no other reason than to remind me that Coffee (and tea) are luxury, not privilege. I'll enjoy my cup of coffee just the littlest bit more thinking it was just the littlest bit better for the planet.

I looked at Boca Java, who I currently have a subscription with. I justify this by the fact that I do only drink a cup now and again. I buy the Walmart Folgers for Husband (eeeeee bad I know). They have one Rainforest Alliance coffee, one Organic Coffee, and a few Organic Teas. Hmm. None of the flavours really float my boat. Too bad, I love the raspberry chai tea.I can totally just drink up what I have and it'll take me a while to get through it too.. but I have to think of a way to swap out Husband's coffee.. and keep him in stock so he doesn't buy more Folgers. AND... break it to him later so he can see how buying "Green" isn't more expensive in the long run /raspberry/! Seems to be about 10$ for the 33oz can of Folgers.. that is going to be hard to beat. O_O All the Organic coffee seems to be about a dollar an ounce. It's okay, he's got a little while left, giving me time to research /evil/.

While I shop

BackCountry 2x16 18.46 = 0.58cOz.
Altura French Roast 32 17.54 = 0.55cOz

Aaaand we're going to try Marley Coffee One Love, 12-Ounce Bags, in a 6pack (what a deal!) for 0.20 an ounce. It sounds delicious too! The description (and reviews!) read:

One Love's floral aromas unfold with hints of blueberry, cocoa and spice with a medium body and bright acidity. It tantalizes the palette leaving a profound cherry finish.

Okay, I reeeally need to go to bed now :P

Comments

  1. I know, I'm very late posting anything, BUT in case you hadn't already heard from Starbucks or some other place, used grounds are AWESOME fertilizer for gardens or something. They sell the used grounds at Starbucks and I read it on the bag. It's high in Nitrogen I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect