Review: Showcase Presents: Green Arrow, Vol. 1


Showcase Presents: Green Arrow, Vol. 1
Showcase Presents: Green Arrow, Vol. 1 by DC Comics

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Campy, predictable, silly arrows, time travel, Robin Hood, Merlin, wacky science, a little bit of old timey acceptable racial stereotyping, a female archer who stereotypically bungles everything while trying to be save the hero (but ends up being useful anyway)... it's ridiculous and I really enjoyed it. It's worth it for sheer fun and to really see where Green Arrow started. The compendium ends with an issue after a 28 month break from the character. It's implied that during this time Ollie gave up being G.A. to mature into a businessman doing good for the state as a financier (and to grow a handsome Van Dyke beard). He'd made alterations to the costume (notably trading cuffed boots for tight ones, long-cuffed gloves for a combination glove/arm guard, and a short tunic laced up the front) transforming it into the, now iconic, Green Arrow costume.

I've read other reviews and some people are bother by the lack of coloring. It didn't occur to me when I started reading it that it LACKED coloring so it didn't bother me (though I do wonder a little what the originals looked like).

My personal favorite is the Robin Hood sequence in "The Green Arrow Robin Hood" September 1959. I also like Miss Arrowette (on principle) and hope she fleshed out later in life.

I like the stories, love the art, adore the character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect