Review: The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I wish I'd read it before hearing all the expectations people had for it.
Notice: review is vague on the feelings I was left with when the book ended.

I really did like the book, I did, but I kept hearing "it's the next _Harry Potter_, or, oh my god it's so amazing you won't be able to put it down you have to read it NOW!" It was good. I like her style of writing, it moved along well, I wasn't ever bored. I felt the characters were developed really well and the universe put together without too many gaps. I heard it was written for teen genre so I cut it some slack, but it didn't really need any. I enjoyed Katniss' mind and her thinking skills.
I'll be honest, I'm "team Gale", as they say, but there's still just something missing from the character dynamic at the very end of the book. I understand it's written to go into the next book, and THAT's written out as a great segue as well: you WANT to pick up the next book and keep going.
I just didn't get that huge SIGH I get at the end of a book that I was completely immersed in. It was a little sigh. So, for the unspoken lack I can't point out, I subtract a star. A really good book, that I wouldn't mind reading again, and one I am interested (if not eager) to start.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect