GardenKitty builds a Garden!

This place we moved into had an abandoned garden in the side-yard. Not big, overgrown with weeds, bordered by sad wooden barriers. It's an imperfect place: off to the side so you cannot see it even from the patio. There's also the Dryer vent hanging out the side, a twisted ugly piece of metal that Husband tells me cannot be cut down to be flush with the wall. I wouldn't impede it or anything, just, pretty it up. Grate it or something. When I started pulling the weeds out I found odd bits of garbage in it: some cigarette butts, fuses, bottlecaps, a sanding disk, couch foam, a toolbox full of screws with plastic washers or anchors.

Garden being built:
Funky space beside the house.
I think it USED to be a garden.
I pulled all the weeds!
It almost looks like a garden..


Pulled out the rotted wood.

Yay! New Wood!

Now it's a Square Foot Garden!
With more soil to give the plants something to root in this could be a good little garden after all.
I've got Natural Weed Block Fabric down over a smoothed out base, and then covered with a bag of Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss mixed with Organic Miracle-Gro Gardening Soil. Two more bags of the Soil over that and the box still doesn't seem to be full!

I bought some bamboo poles (all they had left was black) and ordered some vegetable netting. These put together and secured to the wall just a wee bit should serve as a trellis for vines like cucumber, squash, and tomato! I'll update this page when I get that built up here soon.

The original area tear-down entry : Here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect