July 3 ownzors July 4

So we knew I wasn't going to get time at home on July 4... it's the WORST holiday on Fort Bragg because everyone and their brother comes out for the 25minute fireworks show. Hubby and I decided to spend our mutual day off July 3 celebrating instead!

I bought him a little grill, just a little camp grill really, and we threw the camp chairs outside and ate the most delicious babyback ribs ever! I almost cried when I found out I'd left out my last three and wouldn't get them for leftovers. We had a few delicious beers, and Rook went nuts with the little sticks in the backyard. We set up the tent in the living room (camping with AC!!) and had us a lil camping StayCation!

This morning we cleaned up the mess we made last night (ok, Hubby cleaned up and let me sleep in! What a hunk!) I came to work at the Randolph gate and all hell broke loose.

First I had a guy roll up to the ID lane and joke that he was gonna 'just blow on by'. I laughed at him and told him he wouldn't have gotten very far: I have 'a button for that.' We have GRAB systems out here: Ground Retractable Automotive Barriers. These things pop out of the ground like the nets on carrier ships and snatch up anything trying to go through them. MUWAHAHA

Then I had a great indication of how the night was going to go: I had a civilian pull up and need to be turned around to the processing lane. I turned him around and he pulls up in the far ID cardholder lane... after first driving around a barrier cone. He proceeds to open his vehicle for processing until I scramble over there to tell him he's in the wrong place. I move the cone, and assuming he had enough brain cells for the maneuver, told him to just back up into the proper lane. He curbs his back right tire and almost hits the light pole. I could have shot out his tires I was so amazed. He rights himself, continues backing up until he's BACKING into the processing lane, flips a hurried 180, and points his nose the right way down the lane. I couldn't believe it!!

The night was a total mess: people with no ID, no seatbelts, no braincells. I had the worst child safety seat I'd ever SEEN! Meaning a woman came through with a 3 month old baby lying in the backseat with a blanket over her, just a waving her little chubby arms, flailing. 'Oh, we have one, but it's on post. We got dropped off, and she came and got us.' So WHY didn't you BRING THE CAR SEAT???

I volunteered for 4 extra hours, to bring my check to 49hours and 8holiday. I think, that was a silly plan. Oh well. I can't wait to get home to my hubby and crazed puppy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect