Review: The Hunchback of Notre Dame


The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



At first the book is an eloquent textbook on architecture. The author practically paints Paris and the history of it's architecture, and it's beautiful. I listened to the audiobook version and the orator's dancing tone made it all the more beautiful.

It takes a while to get to the story itself, and then there are bits of history or art dappled throughout. It really is beautifully eclectic. The story is dark, sad, and where appropriate emotionally disgusting. I giggled, I cringed, I deflated. It was wonderful. If you have a hard time getting through it on paper (due to length or verbage or something) I do highly recommend the Blackstone audiobook. It will draw you through Paris, the story, and the irony, the tragedy, and you will enjoy it.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect