ITBS and Religious Anti-BC BS.

WHEW! What a day.. Week?

Went back to court to try to wrap up an old landlord issue; was moderately successful: should get our security deposit back (finally) and hopefully never see them again!

Evil diet is evil. We sorely need it though. Allowing myself one Dark-chocolate raspberry popsicle a day. They're Weight Watchers, 85 cals, and I eat them when NOT dieting. Feels like cheating but I'm not = win.

Been pretty domestic too... baked banana bread, some light sweeping, sewed a button on some pants...

OH. And I hurt my knee again. I ran yesterday. Kinda. After about half a mile my right knee (the one I borked on the Spartan run) was screaming and I wanted to stop. I didn't. A mile and a half later I limped into the car and for most of the day I had to lock my knee out to get around. It was fairly agonizing. Not being over-the-top either: when I bent my knee, I instantly had to fight back tears. When that occurs in the middle of campus it's pretty embarrassing. It's a bit better today. We're fairly sure it's ITBS.

Iliotibial Band Syndrome can be caused by "wearing worn-out shoes, running downhill or on banked surfaces, running too many track workouts in the same direction, or simply running too many miles." While I WAS wearing worn out shoes to the Spartan (where I discovered this wonderful pain) I don't think they were what caused it. It was probably all the wonky trail running (a lot of banked surfaces, tripping, falling) and most definitely the whole thing was WAY too many miles for me. My previous record had been 4.75. I don't mind the being injured part, I mind that everything I find says that if I've gotten it, it means I'll probably continue to get it throughout my life simply because of the way my legs move.

I have found some exercises to help strengthen the legs against it, but still, sneef. Yesterday's aftermath was worse than the aftermath of the original injury. Definitely shouldn't have run on it so soon, even if it did feel pain-free. I'm going to go for a short walk tomorrow and see how it feels. No running, and not too far. I need to see what I can do because I don't want to just SIT on it. That certainly won't solve anything.

I won't Soapbox too much today, since there's just TOO MUCH to freak out about lately. I don't think I'm reading the news any MORE than I used to, except I probably am. It just seems like there's so much anti-female, anti-common-sense, anti-"how about you live your life and stay out of mine" going around that it's all I hear about anymore.

Here's my favorite summation/retort to the Rush Limbaugh "Slut" mess:






Something I'm buying myself for my birthday:
United States Constitution, Pocket Size, 2-3/4" X 3-3/4".
I was sitting around and it occurred to me, if the New Testament can be printed as small as those pocket Gideon's Bibles... why not the Constitution?
This is actually what sold me:
"Also included is an impressive array of documents, revealing the ideas, aspirations and differing views of the founding fathers. These documents include The Declaration of Independence, The Virginia Bill of Rights, Massachusetts Bill of Rights, Articles of Confederation, Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom, The Annapolis Convention, plans to create a new national government by Edmund Randolf, William Patterson and Alexander Hamilton, and The Great Compromise. " YEP. All those extra goodies. I really think that there should be a class in high school where young adults LEARN the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and all those things that make our way of life possible. There are people who can recite the Ten Commandments but don't know the Ten Amendments (the Bill of Rights). How sad when an American knows what they are NOT supposed to do, but not what they are actually ENTITLED to...



Rick Santorum scares me more and more everyday. I don't even need a link, just Google his name and be terrified.



Encyclopedia Britannica is out of print, but I'm glad they will still have their online service.



One of my biggest guffaws this last week came from my home state of Arizona and its "House Bill 2625" which
"repeals that law and allows any employer to refuse to cover contraception that will be used "for contraceptive, abortifacient, abortion or sterilization purposes." If a woman wants the cost of her contraception covered, she has to "submit a claim" to her employer providing evidence of a medical condition, such as endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome, that can be treated with birth control." - Huffington Post
This means that your employer can ask you why you are taking birth control and (let's face it, it's a Right to Work state) then FIRE YOU if they don't agree with WHY you're taking it. Not only is this a freaking HIPAA violation but it's religious discrimination. These people aren't doing this to protect the religious freedom of the employer who disagrees with your reproductive choices, they're doing it to DISCRIMINATE against those who do NOT hold THEIR religious ideology of reproduction. YES FOLKS! You, the atheist, the agnostic, the non-denominational, CAN be religiously discriminated against if the discrimination if religiously based. Burns my biscuits. This of course is nicely tied up in the whole "let's just cut BC from insurance all together because some moron thinks it's a religious choice and not a medical one."

Oh, they did this too:
Arizona Senate Approves Bill on 'Wrongful Births' . This bill is to "shield doctors and others from ... lawsuits that can arise if physicians don't inform pregnant women of prenatal problems that could lead to the decision to have an abortion." IE: If your doctor sees something wrong with you or your fetus, he can decide (based on his own "moral*COUGHRELIGOUS* judgement" to NOT tell you about these defects, so you don't choose to abort it. Excuse me? We're now ALLOWING doctors to commit malpractice as long as their 2000 year old pack of ignorant sheepherders says it's ok in the eyes of an invisible father-figure who allows countless babies to die every year? Are you out of your empty minds??


Here is some more Suggested Reading:

No Plan B for Native American women. "More than 1 in 3 Native American women will be sexually assaulted their lifetimes, a rate much higher than the general population. "
National Geographic - Child Brides. Too Young to Wed: The bride may be 14, 10, 5. The practice of child marriage is illegal - yet it still thrives.
Violence Against Women Act Divides Senate. Republicans seek to vote down the renewal of the 1994 Violence against Women act (funds battered women's shelters, free legal advice for them, etc) saying that the addendums "unnecessarily expands immigration avenues when they claim they've been battered, to get temporary status", and because "It also dilutes the focus on domestic violence by expanding protections to new groups,like same-sex couples,they say."


And lastly, because it takes up a bunch of space and it's the the most scary thing here...
Doonesbury has done a run on the insane Texas abortion laws.
You can find the basics Here: Texas Law House Bill 15.
And the "Women's Right to Know" pamphlet the strip mentions Here: Woman's Right to Know UPDATE (2/6/2012). While it doesn't specifically say it's a "trans-vaginal sonogram" the strip is making a point that any sonogram (which is most definitely just to force the pregnant woman to "see" the fetus and guilt her into thinking it's a person) is INVASIVE and unnecessary. You want to talk about women who have had abortions ending up with mental issues afterwards? This kind of malpractical mental abuse is sure to help cause some.

Since I found these compendiums on Facebook (thanks for posting, FeminAtheists!) I figured I'd pull them down and repost them to avoid the weird FB links. Go read them in color by clicking on the Doonesbury link I posted above! Supposedly, they're too "harsh" to be published. I can't verify that, but the fourth strip here is very... poignant.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect