My age old question rears... Teacher or Nurse.

I have a year of core requirements to decide if I want to change my major from BSNursing to BSBiology. It would invalidate some NC work (whoever decided A&P is lower div, never took it). Considering the BSN invalidates most everything from CA and AZ... it kinda stings. Don't want to 'start over' again.

I started with fun stuff and no advisor. It's hard to get one of those you know! Religion and psychology. Was gonna major/minor for fun!

In CA I shifted to Gen Eds, but everytime I change colleges there are different Gen Eds. Jazz = Music in CA but not FL. Skills for Student Success (how to be a college student) req CA,NC but apparently not FL.

As a nurse I get to help people, have some hand in biology, and make money to take care of my family.
As a teacher I would get to warp minds, I mean, teach kids to love science! Dissect! Muscles! Skeleton! I prefer Middle School to Post Secondary I think, but who knows. Summers off to work on more school or take a wee vacation. But money would be so much less.

A FL nurse BSN, in the first year, averaged a 50-54k salary.
A FL teacher BS, in the first year, averaged a 37-48k salary.
A $9500.00 difference. That's almost a new car...

When I webbed my goals last month as part of a Spark exercise I tucked it away as a bookmark. I found it a week later and was surprised to see Nurse not on it anywhere. I wondered... I always phrase the nursing as a stepping stone to teaching.
•BSN -> Army Nurse -(20yrs)-> Science Teacher til I die.
Husband keeps telling me to ignore the Army, probably means he'll go back. We decided we couldn't both go in if we wanted kids. Dual deployments are rough on spawn.

Hubby says if I stop trying to plan every moment of the future, and just plan for tomorrow or next year, I'd be less stressed. He's right on that. But it's hard when the choices I make now affect the future so strongly... Just look at my years of wasted credits :(


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect