Review: Welcome to Night Vale

Welcome to Night Vale Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(Note, I have not heard the podcast at the time of this reading.) I listened to the audiobook, which I've heard was easier to digest than the paperback. I think I'd prefer the audiobook too, because some eerie music and creative narration really lent depth to the story (and weirdness of Night Vale).

It was a WEIRD a heartwarming story that, while failing Beschdel, managed to present strong independent women at very different stages of their life, while being both amusing and a little creepy. Though this book was proposed to me as a Horror, I don't feel it really this that category. In fact, I read it to satisfy the Horror category in the Goodreads.com 2016 Read Harder challenge and now need to decide if I should read another, scarier, horror novel.

I'm glad I read it, and might pop in to the podcast, but it's definitely not something for everyone.

Some nifty things I thought while reading it, that I posted as status updates:

Librarians are the darkest of evil... makes me think of Parks and Recreation!
(At about 24%) The story often seems too disjoint to be enjoyable, but is otherwise interesting.

I really like the scientists in Night Vale. There's much in this book that might be social commentary on science and religion, and while We All Agree It Makes NO Sense, it does make me smirk.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect