Review: The Life List

The Life List The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read the first half by paperback and the second by audiobook. I don't recommend the audiobook version; the narrator has a stilted and uneven cadence that made the novel sound less well written than it was.

The book WAS pretty well written. It wasn't my style of novel, I was asked to read it by a friend. It was like watching a lifetime movie, or a live-action Disney movie, where people keep telling the princess that she can't always get everything she wants, but she clearly is. I'm usually happy to have a character second guess themselves, but she dives between extreme self-doubt and this unwavering faith in her death mother that the mother is painted to be as omnipotent as a god. The mother might actually BE an analogy for God, and the Life List an analogy for the Ten Commandments. If you told me right now "that was the exact point" I would believe you.

The message of the book is a good one: it's never too late to be happy. You shouldn't settle for being unhappy because you think you can't be / don't deserve to be / being happy is too hard. I like the oddball method of moving the story along... the Life List. I even like the character basically trying to convince herself that each man is the one she's supposed to be with, as painful as it is to read, because I think people really do that.

It's not a waste of paper, and hopefully inspires some people. I appreciate it for what it is, but wish I'd taken it out of the library instead of buying it. I'll be donating it to the Little Library.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect