Review: Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation


Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation by Bill Nye

My rating: 5 of 5 stars





Let's get it out of the way: Nye missed a HUGE opportunity when he didn't call it "UndeNYEable".

I read the audiobook version, because once I knew Nye was orating it, how could I not? He puts the same energy into this book that he did the shows I loved and grew up on, though the tone is a little more sobered, considering the different age of the audience. Still very witty and engaging! I'm sure the paper version is too, but have to admit that the paper version will probably be better for those who are familiar with the way he speaks, because they'll be able to read it in his voice with more of the inflections that make it Nye.

I cannot pretend to be an unbiased reader in this case. I have a signed portrait of Nye on my desk, still mourn the day I couldn't drive the few hours to see him speak at a nearby university, and my husband points out to visitors that I don't have a picture of HIM on my desk. It's true that Nye had a huge place in my childhood, and in my current role of science educator I sometimes ask myself "WWND"... What Would Nye Do. Still this book truly holds its own.




The back of the book could read "Bill Nye reads the summary portions of your high school biology textbook" and wouldn't be far off. It is a very thorough, yet precise, summary of basic biology, evolution, the geologic record, biotechnology, and he makes it very accessible! I would not hesitate to assign chapters of this book to my high schoolers!

I've read some short reviews where people dislike how often Nye mentions the Ken Ham debate. Indeed, he clearly states it was one of the major motivations to write this book. I don't feel like it's so prevalent that it draws away from information at all, but actually gives the information a "why". It's not really a textbook, you see, but a long letter of "why" evolution is true and "young Earth" creationism is wrong. He notes that though he subscribes to no religion or faith in a god, he has no problem with religion: only a problem with people that try to overturn good science with pseudoscience or flat out lies. It's a common argument in the Evolution-Teaching debate (because there is no evolution debate, just a debate on whether teachers should teach it): you wouldn't let someone argue that your kids should be taught that Earth is the center of the solar system, because it clearly isn't, even if some ancient textbook says it is, so why try to enforce that mistake with evolution? I think the Ham-Nye debate thread is kept low-profile in the text, but is referred to as needed to remind readers that though it could stand in as a textbook, it isn't one. Nye is also good about prefacing his opinions as such when he inserts them into the text.

All said in done, now having listened to Nye read the text to me, I'll still be keeping my paper version. Sure, maybe to get another autograph someday, but it'll hold a nice place on my desk to show that THIS biology teacher isn't scared of teaching science.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect