Review: Assassin's Apprentice


Assassin's Apprentice
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



My brother recommended this book to me a year or so ago and it took me awhile to get around to it. I read the audiobook version, as I have so much more time for those lately, and found the narrator a good orator. His range isn't the best I've heard, no obvious falsettos for females, and a lot of the characters sound the same, but he manages well enough that I look forward to listening to him again in the next two novels.

As for the novel, it was wonderful! I well written complex story that manages to span year without feeling overburdened by small arcs or too thin in the character development. The main arc is a bit obvious, nearly good-twin-bad-twin obvious, but there are tiny threads of intrigue throughout that are sweet little surprises. I teared up a few times, and grinned a little here and there. I give it a full five stars for it's ability to somehow draw me in, while not feeling like such a textbook. It's not a penny-dreadful by any means, but perhaps I've simply been reading too many tomes lately. It felt light, but was very interesting. I'm very excited to read more.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect