Review: Dragonfly in Amber


Dragonfly in Amber
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I really try not to read romance novels, but the adult moments in this book were either nicely skippable or had plot points in them (no really)! And, they weren't so terribly awkward or overwritten as in so many books that sell their so-so stories with the sex itself.

Without being able to give too much away, I loved it. I read the audiobook version, and the orator did a good job of separating the characters and conveying emotions. The story itself started out so differently that I had to go back and read the cliffnotes for the first book to make sure I hadn't forgotten some huge plot point. Turns out, it was a plot device of THIS novel. I loved it. It was a great way to seamlessly connect the two novels.

I really don't know how much more to review without giving away plot points. Granted, the book is based on (some) actual historical events, but I'm not betting you've gone and researched those. I did look some of them up at the end, just to see how close they were, and Gabaldon did a good job, I think, especially considering the way she was attempting to work the events into the story.

The enemies are well and truly loath-able. Not as painfully hate-able as in the first novel, thank goodness, because that sort of intense hatred was a little uncomfortable. This time, things are more subtle. The story does refer to the old crimes, as one would have to for crimes of that nature and their terrible lasting effect, but they don't take up too much room. AND when I tried to predict how a particular plot hole would be filled, I was wrong. I LOVE being wrong about something (when it's written believably and not just jumping the shark somewhere).

And the END! WOW. Ready for the next one!



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect