November Summary

November Summary (aka TLDR)
  • Finished the classes for my bachelors in teaching; should get all As. Hard, exhausting, satisfying.
  • My 3-yr old black scaredy cat ran away, and is not home yet. :(
  • Made a SparkPeople Turkey Track pedometer challenge, and made 212,000 steps. People loved it!
  • Initiated into two honor societies: Kappa Delta Pi, and Omicron Delta Kappa. Spent one evening with a homeless veteran.
  • Thanksgiving with Husband's family.
Blog after the Break!

This month (basically) concludes one of the most exhausting and satisfying semesters of college I have ever endured. I finished my curriculum for my bachelors degree in secondary education of biology (read as: High School Biology Teacher). Next semester I'll do my student teaching, and then graduate. I'm not sure how much I slept, but it was very worth it. I have three finals left, and according to my calculations, failing them means dropping my grade only to an A- in the courses. Of course, I'm not going to fail them. SO, there's my prediction. I'll get my A's, for 5 classes (16 credits), while teaching one day a week, and moving in the middle of the semester. Phew.

Snork Village! (A Central Dogma (DNA) activity.)

I was super lucky to get a Clinical Educator (my mentor teacher, for my once-a-week practicum) that was willing to let me work with students, teach on a whim, and really put my own efforts into the lesson plans and presentations. That backfired a few times, of course, since I'd not actually taught before, but it was a really good learning experience. I had one student ask if I would be their teacher from now on... I'm sure it was dread, really, because it was my second day-long lesson, and the first had been just dreadful for them. I had too much upper-level information (college-level detail, really) and lost them, and then ran out of time to finish. Still, I remember the question fondly. In January I'll answer "yes". I will be taking over the second half of the year for a teacher who has already taught half a year. I'll basically have to overwrite whatever classroom management the teacher started with, so it won't be like breaking them in fresh. The teacher will still be there, so for a while the students will look to them to rescind any punishments I might have to mete out. It'll take a little bit of work, but I'm really excited to do it!

In a little bit of sad news, meine kleine schwarze katze ran away last Sunday. :( I was ill for part of the week and slept through most of Sunday. Husband was doing laundry (like the awesome husband he is) and the scaredy-cat managed to slip out. Honestly I never watched him for it because he's seriously scared of everything: loud noises, Husband walking around the house, me if I make a sudden movement... We rescued him off the street when he was just a kitten, and he has been an indoor cat ever since. I worry about his ability to hunt and survive this new cold-snap. Sure, it's Florida, but it's still cold at night. We did try to look for him, but looking for a black cat in the dark is ridiculous. We now keep some food on the stoop beneath my window, and I interview each stray that comes to call. There are quite a few black ones: Captain (with his chewed/cut off ear), Tom (big black tomcat), the little girl cat, and then two grey tabbies and a very friendly white-and grey half tabby. None of them named Mr. Shmoosh Underfoot. Le sigh. My sister said her cat came back after 3 weeks, and my husband's aunt said hers came back calling after 2. It's basically a week for us now. I still run to the windows if I hear a stray cat meow, but it's getting better.

I decided to run a challenge on SparkPeople, and was floored by how many other people wanted to participate. I cross-posted some of the posts as blog entries, and mention some of the goals and achievements of some of the members. I usually get between 150k and 250k in a month, when I run. I haven't run a lot lately, due to time and owies, but there are people challenging themselves to do everything from 100,000 to 400,000, and getting as far as 960,000 steps for the month. Just, floored. It's so motivating to log in and see so many people excited and dedicated about a goal they get to share with others. I made badges in 50,000 step increments, and it was basically the only blog I made for this month, until now. I've made just over 212,000 steps. I really want that 250,000 badge for next month. I might push the goal to 300,000.



I was initiated into both of my honor societies this month, Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education, and Omicron Delta Kappa, a national leadership honor society. At the KDP initiation a homeless man wandered in and sat down next to me. He told me about how he was a famous Hollywood movie star and a veteran, and about the several movies he was in (and was going to be in) featuring him as a hardnose Marine. I did get a glimpse of his Veterans Assistance card.
Representing ODK at the Leaders of Leaders gala!

I directed his attention to the dessert table (since the dinner had already been taken away) and watched him scarf down almost half a cake. He was being amiable enough, but I still alerted the other solo lady at my table to care for her belongings. I also told some of the officers, just in case. I didn't believe he would cause any sort of a scene, but how awful it would be if I didn't say something and something happened. As it turned out, the officers thought the loud-talking gent was my guest, so they hadn't said anything. We did end up alerting campus security of his presence, just in case. I later found out that he has been picked up before, for yelling at a wall during a flashback. It's a little sad. After the ceremony he just hopped on his red bike and rode off.

The ODK initiation ended up less interesting, but look what it had to compete with! It was nice and I look forward to doing more volunteer activities with them. So far they seem to be more active in service than our KDP chapter, but we'll see how things go!

We spent Thanksgiving with Husband's family and just stuffed ourselves. It's so nice to get to take a break with family. Still, now I feel all wonky, because there are still finals left! At least there aren't as many photos of us studying on the dinner table this year!
November was a very busy month.
I even managed to finish reading the Inkheart trilogy, sneak in a comic book or five, and start reading the second book in Game of Thrones. Ah, audiobooks, making the time spent on the train useful.
Until next month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect