Palm Beach Zoo - Safari Nights

Shane and I went to this special evening admission at the local zoo to see the animals when they're most active! We've been to the zoo before, and it's a GREAT zoo, but it's really hot in Florida. If I could sleep through the hottest part of the day and ignore all the screaming children, I probably would too.

We had a schedule to keep, so first went to see the Wings Over Water show. It was the same show they do during the day, but I always love it. ONE exception: Hunter the Eurasian Eagle Owl is back! He's been out for a while because of a foot fungus, but was back and ready for pictures. Is it weird that I know these things? I did get to see a Harris's Hawk, Austin, which was made extra cool because I'd just seen a little educational video on them the night before! During the WoW show the birds fly very close to you while the hosts tell you about the birds, their habitat, and how you can help preserve that habitat through little things. I always enjoy it.

We went to the Tiger Talks next. We've seen the three male tigers before, but I got to hear the very interesting talk about their habits and habitat, and watch the trainer show off some husbandry actions. This means that they have trained the tigers to display in certain ways, in exchange for treats, so they can check the health of their paws and belly etc. It was SO COOL hearing the tigers bark. I learned that the three males could never be reunited with their mother after being separated. Interesting.

We saw the Wild Things show, which I've never seen before. I saw two wild guinea fowl rampage around the stage, an ocelot walk on a leash, a young alligator, a BARN OWL land on the perch 6 inches above Shane's head (so close!) and a Hyacinth Macaw! Squee!

We went to the Jaguar Talk next/last. They've always been my favorite of the big cats but I still learned new things. I learned that mothers decide their kittens are ready to be on their own when they chase them up a tree and won't let them come down. Also, they have the strongest bite of any of the big cats though they are only the third largest. She talked about their stalking style of hunting, and threw fish in for her to pounce on. People asked why she didn't give it to Maya (the jaguar) through the fence, and Maya showed them why... Maya reached through the chain link fence farther than she ever had before (according to the trainer) and grabbed the trainer's ankle, pulling her the ground, and stealing her rubber boot. The trainer was unharmed, though embarrassed. They had to clear the area and feed the cat just to get the boot back! The whole trip was exciting! I love the Palm Beach Zoo!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect