Review: Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond


Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond
Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond by Kim Harrison

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



In short: I really loved this anthology. I avoided some schoolwork to snatch a story here and there, and even snuck off into another room to read a page or two. Definitely a winner.

No spoilers.

I loved reading the Hollows shorts, some more than others. I'm up to date on the other books so some things twinged my heart a little bit (some characters in Ley Line Drifter, for instance).

It was so much fun to see the Elf Quest play out in Million Dollar Baby! Trent is not my favorite character but it is nice to get into his head a little bit. I may read him a little differently from now on.

I wasn't overly fond of Ivy's tale, but I'm not overly fond of Ivy. It's something about the flavor I give her when I read her in print, because the flavor she has in the audiobooks is different and I like here there. My own hang ups in there somewhere, I suppose. Still, the story was good enough and I did smirk to see the detailed explanation of how Ivy ended up with Rachel. (Extra cool, since I'd just read the first graphic novel about the events directly after!)

As for the shorts in Beyond the Hollows, I liked them all very much. I adored Pet Shop Boys and would run out and get a novel based on it in a heartbeat. I really hope Harrison picks this thread up again.

I also really liked Temson estates, and see it as a pretty good story but can't fathom how the universe would be extended. I know that not all shorts are meant to be pilots; I just really liked this one on it's own, but as a lightweight short.

Spider Silk... I liked it and I didn't. Not, not "didn't" didn't... It reminded me very much of Anne Rice's "Lasher". Seems very much the same premise, and because Lasher left a bad taste in my brain it slid over to Spider Silk and tainted it. It's good, and I like the cohesion at the end (part of it not really sinking in until a little later). So I liked it.

The story Grace is very much alt-universe-Rachel. And that's probably why I love it. I dig the scientific reason why some humans have a new ability, and the hint that historical events were possibly tied to it. Tickled my inner scientist pink! This is another one where I'd probably pick up books based on it. I like the character, am not super-keen on the inevitable romantic thread between two characters (but others dig it, I get it). I really enjoyed the story.

In short: I really loved this anthology. I avoided some schoolwork to snatch a story here and there, and even snuck off into another room to read a page or two. Definitely a winner.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect