27th Birthday (and variousities of moving).

So yesterday I turned 27. Felt the same as my last day being 26, only more sore.

We spent the last few days packing up our little two-bedroom military housing unit into a UHaul, and scrubbing the place til it was cleaner than when we got it! In the meanwhile I was still going to class, and he was still having to report to duty and run all over post trying to get various clearing stamps, signatures, etc. We got the house finished on the 22nd. (Such a small sentence for the undertaking the 22nd was!) We were scrubbing things til the lady walked up to the house and asked if we were ready to clear! We ended up only paying for 2 tears in the carpet (Cat), 3 busted blinds (also Cat). She signed off at 1615... but didn't stamp it. The stamp has to be done at Housing in Soldier Support, and they close at 1630. We screamed over there (it's about 5-10 minutes away depending on traffic. Thankfully all the traffic was headed in our direction, offpost.) He was able to get the thing stamped, after zig-zagging floors and sides of the building like Mario in the original Donkey Kong. We napped after that; a friend is letting me stay with her through Finals, since I'm officially homeless. :) We woke long enough to have an oven-pizza and watch "Men who Stare at Goats." Shane thought it was "okay" with some funny parts. (It was originally called Dog-Lab... *lick lick lick*) I thought it was decently funny, but I could see why my mom thought it was hilarious.

The next morning was my birthday.. and it was so hard to get out of bed the old-lady jokes hit immediately. More clearing, more errands. He took me to the "Greek Place" for lunch (for my birthday.) I'm in love with the Spatnikova platter, and will miss it so much! (Feta Spinach wrapped in Phylo. The Pita Chips are to die for.) More errands. He then took me to DQ (omg yes!) I had them make me a "Raspberry, chocolate, cheesequake blizzard." Basically a rasp cheesequake with chocolate chips in it. He blended it so well there was cheesequake in every bite. Omg.... (Shane says he refuses to try any blizzards I get any more, because he always likes them better than the one he got!) We sat around getting fat on those, and then screamed back to the house for a quick change and to head two hours to Greensboro to see Goo Goo Dolls! I've adored them since I was 16 and have never seen them. I bought the tickets a month or two ago, when we weren't sure of dates etc. I thought we wouldn't get to go, and it was only 2 days before when we discovered we could. It was fantastic.

We had ourselves an adventure once the concert ended. We parked in overflow, as did another couple. There's no fee, but a warning here and there that you need a parking pass and could get towed. We parked there last week for Nickelback and everything was fine. This time, it was not fine. The gates were locked. O_O I of course did the most logical thing: I started to quietly panic. "Find a hotel?" "Find an all night hardware store and some bolt cutters?" "Ram the gate!" (no really, he wanted to ram the chainlink fence, locked by a wound steel cord, with my plastic Elantra.) The other couple scooted under the fence to go look for another entrance, and we walked back towards the building thinking of finding help. We watched them drive around, almost hoping they had been drinking and planned on ramming the gate themselves. They didn't. They DID find a closed gate that hadn't been locked. We were already back in the lot, thinking of sleeping in the car and hauling ass in the morning when they opened it again. When we saw them actually pull out we ran. We jumped in the car and damn near peeled out to get out the gate.

He slept as I drove us home, but not before stopping to get fat on some Taco Bell (I've discovered the joy that is Crunchwrap.) Two hours later we were home, jumping into bed, with dreams of just 5 hours of sleep.

So.. Shane's already headed for FL. Left today and will probably stop over with his brother for the night, then continue in the morn. He took the Rook with him, and I've got the Temper. We thought it was going to be almost 3 weeks before I got down there, but it's 17 days til my last final. 17 days til I can go 'home', where-ever that ends up being :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect