090823 WsI & Hubby Bbday

//There's something rather post-apocalyptic about the Honeycutt gate. The empty train tracks outside the gate sit unused, with rotting wood planks red with rust from the rails.The road into post is lined with quiet motor pools; the paint on the old generators and canvas-covered humvees slowly fading in the midday sun. Crows caw from the sagging powerlines attached to bleached and leaning wooden telephone poles still standing from the 1970s. The shredding black tarpaline blows quietly, in a breeze seen but not felt, as it clings to the red-rusted barbed-wire fencing. The old water tower, taller even than the stacks of empty sheet-metal boxcars, shows deep cuts of iron-oxide through its orangey-red checked paint job. If it weren't for the occasional car coming through the gate, you would think the only sounds left in the entire world were the slow scraping of a chain on a red-bricked building's tall, thin, smokestack; and the cawing of that crow. As the sun sets and the shadows elongat
e: yes, this is what the end of the world would look like. Dusty, red, and empty.//

I hadn't had time to write about Hubby's bday yet! He spent it in the field *for the fourth year in the row the Army worked him on his birthday.*
The night he came back I took him out to the MashHouse. It's a brewery, and I thought it would be a basic brewery/bar; it turned out to be a rather upscale restaurant too! The food was amazing! We had a Spinach/Artichoke dip, and instead of chips they brought a type of cheesey flatbread (almost like slices of pizza) to go with it. SO good! I had a "She-Crab Soup" which was so good I almost didn't want to share, and the Salmon "Oscar" style, topped with a crabcake, served with mashed potatos and steamed asparagus. Not so keen on the asparagus, but that's between me and the stalks. The fish was delicious, the crabcake perfect, and the Tia Maria dessert they gifted Hubby for his birthday was to die for. I NEED to find recipes, at least, for the She Crab soup and the Tia Maria. I think if I could make the latter for Hubby once in a while he'd love me through ANYTHING! The Tia Maria was listed as chocolate chip cookies, in cream, doused in Coffee liquer. It sounded like an American Tira M
isu, and it was soo much better! It was sliced, like a cake or pie, and it was LAYERS of chocolate chip cookies. Topped with whipped cream, the coffee liquer, and tiny chocolate chips. Mmmmmmm..

Sittin at work today, here and there studying my Anatomy terms.

Don't think I related this, but I mentioned it to someone here so I'll blurb it now. People at the gate seem to think that the females will be softer on them than the male guards: people seem to think this about females in MOST male-dominated jobs. I had a kid roll up to the gate about a week ago, me and a male in the other booth. The kid swerved out of my coworkers lane to get into mine and braked with his hands open in a begging gesture: I already knew this would be fun for me. He started with "Please, I need a favour." I grinned. "I left my ID in my room; my mom's in the hospital, and I just left post over there (*in the outgoing lane*) a second ago. Please do me this favour!"
I asked him "Alright, do you have your driver's license on you?" He smiled real big and dug it out, presenting it to me. "Good! Now take that and your registration to the All American gate and get processed." His face fell like a ton of bricks. I turned him around and chuckled to the coworkder about a few things.
1. If your mom is in the hospital, and its so critical you feel the need to mention it to me, why are you leaving post to begin with?
2. If She's NOT in critical, allowing you to leave post, why did you think it would matter to ME? Or to the MPs, or to the Major or DA Police who WRITE the entrance SOP?
3. Did you really think coming to a female was going to increase your odds of ME breaking MY job's rules to do You: the nobody I've ever met or will meet again, a favour that can get me written up or fired for breaking security?
Cooome Ooon! :D

~WeyrCat's Treo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect