The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)*Movie


Movie based on the book *unread* about Henry the VIII's "one-time mistress Mary Boleyn and her sister Anne, who (a bit of a spoiler for me) became the monarch's ill-fated second wife.

How little I realized that being invited/summoned to the court pretty much landed Anne "where the King can always find [her]", and in my modern, cynical view of things, interprets that as putting her at the Kings Bed and Call. Oops, Freudian, BECK and call. And for the Queen, with a new Lady in Waiting, a gift from her Husband, with no special talent. How would it feel to know your husband summoned to your circle, a girl he plans to put in his bed? The life of a Queen, I do not desire. I'll keep my Captaincy, where I can just kill a man if I need to.

What is WITH the Tudor style men's coats though, the King's particularly, huge gorilla shaped, ugh.

What do you do, a girl in the 1600s, newly married, when adultery is a sin, and the King wants you in his bed, and you can't say no? Being with him was OBVIOUSLY better than being with her husband, (as a nice note, the first love scene with the king was neat for me, cause the actor Eric Bana is rather built like my husband :P He's also the guy who played Hector in Troy!)

Ugh, SO could have done without the Rape scene. I hate them.

What a twisted, jacked up reign that King had. What curse had the Boleyns on them? Two whores for the crown, or simply two girls caught up in the Court bullsnit of philandering King? Though, they say he did not have extramarrital affairs terribly often, but I DO recall some limerick of Henry VIII that I can't seem to remember the lyrics to...

Course, then there's the one my Dad taught me, related, but not directly about the King..

I'm Henry the VIII I am I am, Henry the VIII I am I am,
I got married to the Widow next door, she's been married seven times before!
And each of a one was a Henry! Not a Peter or a Sam, No Sir No Sir.
I'm her eighth old man named Henry, Henry the VIII I am, Henry the VIII I am,
Henry the VIII I am!


Good movie, could do for a copy without the Rape scene (they disturb the fudge out of me...)
I'll stick it on the shelf, riiiight before Elizabeth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect