Moliere (2007


True, a little too late for SCA period, but still...


From IMDB: In 1658, playwright/actor Molière, having been given a theater in the capital by the King, is back in Paris after touring the kingdom of France with his company of players. One day, a young lady asks him to follow her to the deathbed of her mother... Thirteen years earlier, Molière already runs a troupe but goes broke and is thrown to prison. Fortunately (?) his debt is covered by Monsieur Jourdain, a rich man who wants him to help him rehearse a one-act play he has written with a view to seducing a beautiful bright young widow, Célimène. As Jourdain is married to Elmire, and is the "respectable" father of two daughters his design must remain secret so Molière is introduced into the house as Tartuffe, an austere priest...


Beware, those of you who don't like subtitles, this movie IS in French. They aren't perfect, I heard the word "Espanol" though it didn't read Spanish, eh.

GODS his writing desk is enough to die for! What beautiful carving!

I do so love the 16th-17th C French (probably from my Musketeer obsession growing up really..)

I won't mention the sets, mainly because the 16thC forward has so much detail recorded (or it seems it must be based on how often we write and make movies of it) that questioning it is simply beyond my scope. Still, the sets ARE beautiful, the clothing wonderful (still, I wouldn't want to wear the dresses, but the men's clothing? Yar!)
The humor is a bit quiet, with just the right amount of slapstick thrown in.
A reasonable amount of predictability, it has spots feeling of a Cyrano de Bergerac.

Good lord, I wish I could take screens of my WMPlayer.. at 50 minutes in, the Lady Jourdain looks up at her ceiling, and the wood slats are painted so beautifully, so delicately! I'd love to know what homes they pulled the detail from. Also, as she lies in bed, some lovely embroidery on her pillows! I love how everything in the upperclass home is Wood and Stone, just covered in gold and damask!

The end, so sad, and so wonderful. I adored it!!
ON THE SHELF WITH YOU!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect