Review: Game of Thrones Season 6

I caught up to the rest of the world and finished Game of Thrones Season 6. (I try to keep spoilers out of the entry, but things that are obvious are mentioned).

Though I presumed Snow would be coming back to life, I misjudged how they'd do it. My husband (who doesn't follow GoT at all) thinks it's basically fan service. Season 6 isn't a book yet, so Martin would be free to consider fan service (though really he and the show's writers could anyway, and clearly have made departures from the books before). I'd hoped for Jon to come back in a Lady Stoneheart fashion (since I'll always be upset that's been scrapped).

It was kind of annoying to have Hodor's episode sort of spoiled by an Internet full of people screaming "HOLD THE DOOR!" but the story around it was still nicely stunning.

I like where Sansa's story has gone. I was worried with the diversion from the books, but it did make the story more manageable. I like finally coming back to Rickon and Osha's story as well. I think putting them aside in Season 3 was a bit of a waste, sort of making his thread is the baby lost in the bathwater. The only one still missing, to me, is Gendry. Where the crap is Gendry? Hurry up already. Are we planning a Daenerys-Gendry alliance? It'd work; she's Targaryen, he's Baratheon, throne secured.

I do not really like what they did with the Red Woman. She's clearly a hard-charging "God decrees it" sort of person, right through most of the season, but having one defeat (albeit serious defeat) shake her to her core seems a bit ingenuous. Maybe not. Maybe I just don't like her moping around. I didn't really like her before so that probably biases things a bit. I did like a single scene... when we saw her true face, without the Lord of Light's power. Perhaps it was just to humanize her. It does make me wonder if the other Red Priests we see (throughout Mereen, for instance) also have this degree of power. We know she's not the only one with powers of significance, but outside of her and Thoros, we really don't see any other Lord of Light followers that don't come off as street-corner soothsayers. With so much power, why don't we hear more about them... like the Sparrows?


I will say that I'm ever more concerned at how the sixth book is going to fare, with the diversions taken in the show. Shows from books are one thing, and novelizations of shows another. Will the books continue to be a unique universe that the show borrows from? Will the book mold to the new season and completely confuse the crap out of anyone that chooses to read them in the future without watching the show?

It's hard to talk about the finale without spoilers, so I'll put it behind a break. 




Though I'm upset at losing the Tyrells in the finale, I really liked making use of those stores of Wildfire. I was nearly shocked when I saw the barrels, and still hadn't put it together until it happened. I love how complicated this makes the Jaime/Cersei relationship, considering Cersei did exactly what Jaime killed Ares for. I feel they've taken a long time to bring Jaime to the understanding that Cersei is mad; at least, it feels like he made the realization sooner in Book 5. (I get that Season 6 has spliced a lot of Book 5 into it, presumably because they didn't have space in Season 5, and Book 6 isn't actually done yet.)

I am beyond thrilled to have my personal theory on Jon be right. It seemed close to obvious to me, though there were other options. This one just made the most sense. Let's face it, we all want to see Jon ride a dragon. I only have one question: how alive is he? Can be breed? He has a blood claim to the throne, but will he even want it? Wouldn't King in the North be enough (more than enough) for Jon? The show removed any other Targaryen cousin for Daenerys to marry, though in the show she properly stated she'd probably need to marry into a Westerosi house in order to hold the throne. If I recall, the episode showed Jon next, an obvious choice (perhaps that's my memory playing to what I think should happen). They would be Ice and Fire.. just saying.

It's not like they haven't been throwing the pairing in our face, you know.

See? Ice & Fire. They even always pose in the right order.
Really, they do. Check it out.
Soundtrack of this post courtesy of Lindsey Stirling and Peter Hollens:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect