2015 SWA Soiree with Arthur R Marshall Foundation for the Everglades


This morning I attended the Solid Waste Authority's first annual Soiree!

For the most part I wanted the chance to hike a new trail. It turned out to be a mostly paved trail, but otherwise a nice well-maintained short nature-walk sort of trail. Master Naturalist and ARMF Senior Scientist Tara Bardi, and ARMF Educator Ana Maria Castillo, led a lovely 10:30 am tour on the Malachite Trail. Apparently, it's named for the Malachite Butterfly (which I didn't know existed)! It goes through hardwood hammock and over wet prairie.

Afterwards, I walked the booths with my trustee booth-bingo card, and introduced myself to anyone that seemed like they would have volunteer opportunities, workshops, or projects that Mission Green Student Association at FAU could get in on! Most were happy to trade business cards, and I didn't bring enough, actually.




The lot didn't seem much smaller than last year's, when the event was something else, a Waste Management Earth Day sort of event. Mission Green volunteered there. However it seemed to have very poor attendance. I heard they had 300 people, but they must have been talking about the attendance to the 5k trail run that morning. (I wanted to attend that, but it just wasn't in the cards.) I'm hoping the seemingly low attendance to the booth portion of the Soiree was simply poor advertisement. I don't think I saw anything about it outside of the MeetUp group "Guided Everglades and Natural Florida".

All in all, the trail walk was great, the organizations that came out were great, it was a fun and successful day! I look forward to exploring the connections we made, and coming again next year!

#SWASoiree @SWAPBC


Arthur R Marshall Foundation for the Everglades leads an educational nature walk on the Malachite Trail at SWA Soiree, April 11, 2015! Educators Tara Bardi and Ana-Maria Castillo.

SWA Trail system on the ARMF led SWA Soiree trail walk!

ARMF Educators Ana-Maria and Tara teach about the evils of Lygodium!



Do you see what I see?

Periphyton!

ARMF Educator Ana-Maria Castillo

ARMF Educators Ana-Maria Castillo and Tara Bardi

Wet prairie at Solid Waste Authority!

Duck potato in the wet prairie at SWA

Lupine in the wet prairie at SWA

Hazardous WasteMan at SWA Soiree

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect