Review: The Shadow Hero


The Shadow Hero
The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Disclaimer: I received this volume as a Goodreads First Reads book!

I really enjoyed this! I had to make sure I didn't rush and read it all in one sitting, otherwise I'd miss nuances in the art! The story is very well thought out (and I didn't realize how it had to be written to fill in a predetermined set of requirements pertaining to the main character)! The art is really nice, with just the right about of soft or grungy lines depending on the scene. His mother is a NUT, but I am also saddened by her need to force her son into danger and make him into someone he initially does not want to be!

I liked reading the history in the back of the volume. The original comics are about what I would expect from Golden Age comics, but actually have a bit more realism that most of the Golden Age comics I've read. Maybe because it deals with a semi-real, semi-plausible situation (as opposed to criminals trying to steal the first artificial diamond etc etc... Green Arrow, I'm looking at you...)

Very entertaining. I look forward to another volume!



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect