Updates: Leisure Time!

In big news: I made beignets for the first time. I think I'm finally worthy to call myself my grandmother's granddaughter. Seriously, I'm terrified of cooking in oil so I never tried before. They came out a little dense but delicious. Husband had never had them before and is now expecting them every week. I have to find a way to get more. I could definitely get into eating these each Sunday.

I caught up on a little genealogy (a minor hobby of mine). I love when I learn weird things. Apparently around 1775, my 8th great grandfather's son Arthur was kidnapped and forced to be a sailor on a ship to New York. Grandfather thought him dead and named their next son Arthur after him. When they migrated, they found Arthur 1 again. First Arthur had black hair and the second had red, so they became known as Black Art (my 7th great grandfather) and Red Art.

More after the pagebreak!


I found an unaired version of the pilot for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'd been thinking about finishing the series. I missed the last bit when I went to boot camp and never got caught up.

I almost forgot how wonderfully cheesey this show was. You know, one of my weirdest and fondest memories: When I got back from boot camp my mom handed me a huge stack of VHS. She had taped every Buffy while I was gone. Six months worth. Sorry I'm a little late Mom, but I aim to get caught up someday!

Oh I DID end up finishing Pride and Prejudice. I listen to books for 30-40 minutes on the train on the way home, since reading on the train makes me carsick and that means no studying or real books. It takes a long time to finish a book at only twice a week, but I get through them. I really enjoyed the book. I felt the decisions made by the main character were rational and the characatures of her mother made me laugh out loud while I was listening. Loved it. Very happy.

I also buzzed through H.G. Wells' Time Machine, but it's a short little thing. Adored it. I never seemed to get to finish it before. I always got about halfway through. I loved it. I know I'll read it over and over. The storytelling it right up my alley; very descriptive with just the right amount of inane detail. Every time I tried to read the book I always saw the Time Traveler as Paul McGann in Victorian garb... basically the 8th Doctor (from Doctor Who). I wonder if it will always be like that.

Then I got through 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I started listening/reading while walking Rook at the dog park too (stealing book time)! Though I loved the trip, the ending bothered me. More than a little. Anyway, I believe I could read it again if for the wonderfully painted content but the orator of the Blackstone Audio version was SO.. PASSIONATE.. in every WORD the emotion BEAT through like a very HEARTBEAT... No really. That's how he would have read that. He was awesome. The book was great. I look forward to more Verne in the future.


Shane and I went out to dinner at the cool Cuban place with the awesome coffee. Fried Yucca, papaya shake, and guava with cream cheese. Hubby had a Cuban sandwich, of course.

And, in weirdness, I dreamt Green Arrow and Black Canary were Robin Hood and Maid Marian with some weird mob style backstory. I save it because I hope someday to write something out of it. Hehe.

No papers. A rival. Fake passport. A dinner. Death of the father (rival). Ollie finds him, tries to revive, covered in blood). Rival blames Ollie. Escapes, destroys fake papers to disappear again. She finds him. She believes him. Mushy part (well as mushy as GA& BC get). Convinces him to go back. Rival confronts them, fight GA. GA flees without killing him. Rival claims her tainted, unmarriagable. 
Woke. Fill in: Rival is promised to her? How to resolve Rival without killing him? Have Marian take up Ladyship unmarried, banish rival. Ollie refuses to come to light, crappy loose end? Sure, let her grant him papers. Ekk how to get around marriage thing in 14thC?


And off I go, into the wild blue final project wilderness. I leave you with my new favorite owl picture, Owl Princess by David Revoy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect