Not Dead, just Busy!


Today was my first “Field Observation” day at * High School. It was very cool to be placed at the same school I did the internship at, AND get to go back to the science department. The school doesn't have to let me observe in my field. When I saw Ms. C (who I interned with) she yelled “YAY! OUR INTERN'S BACK!” She's so funny! I had been trying to sneak in to not disturb the class, and she'd seen me earlier and knew I was coming. The kids seemed to think my being back was pretty cool. “Took you long enough!” I think maybe they think I was on semester break or something. Too bad I'll only be here three days this time.

I got to observe in Mrs. R's class too. She's a dedicated Earth-Space Science teacher and the classes I saw were only regular (not honors). She was busy preparing Data Chats with the students in a one-on-one setting, which of course left the students to be as wild as they could get away with, even though R has a Co-teacher. Neither co-teacher (for either period I spent with her) seemed to be very effective teachers. I thought the first one was an ESL facilitator since he spent the whole extended-hour with one student, step-by-stepping him through a project that was already step-by-stepped on the board. Ah well. R ran up and gave me a handshake-hug when she saw me, which was really cool, since I don't think she had much invested in me before. I spent all my time in C's room on my internship and only saw the other science teachers at lunch.

A few others recognized me and cheered a little too, which made me feel so happy! The assistant principal told me that one of the science teachers was FAU Alumni and was hired straight from his teaching internship. He'd gotten some $5,000 from FAU for the internship. Not something like the “GoodFit” program I was in, but his required semester teaching to graduate. I'm definitely going to look into it, but I can't even apply for the teacher scholarship until my advisor let's me come in and sign my program form. I must get on her about that. Especially since I technically can't student teach until I sign that, and I should be ready to do that in 2-3 semesters! EEK.

Ok, rest of the day was busy was haphazardly. Last night I was up way too late as I realized that I don't fit any of my “work” shirts. I gained too much weight and still haven't gotten it off. While I'm injured and taking 18 credits and eating ice cream and port wine cheese for dinner, I likely won't. Today I screamed down to the local thrift and scrounged to find two shirts that will work. Not gorgeous, not button-ups the way I like, but they'll do for teacher shirts. I needed them fast, so couldn't be too picky.

Finished  TESOL's scavenger hunt and turned that in online. Compiled the work I'll need for the Ed, Measurement and Evaluation (EME) critical assignment 1 (write a test). Grabbed the “study guide” for my Content Reading exam on Saturday (three hours to do it and upload it). In this next 10 days (before I go on vacation and leave the puppy and kitties and the husband for the beeeeeach) I need to: Do two EME writeups (4 chapters digested), the EME critical 1, the RED test, two Applied Learning Theory (ALT) postings (usually 1 chapter and 2 case studies) but one might be an exam, who knows, the teacher isn't very update-friendly. Also slam together a TESOL textbook analysis (gathered data for that today too). I have two more days to field observe in that time (and write the paper on it, but there's really no due date on that; however letting the experience get stale before I write it would be foolish). I also have a concert to go to in 8 days (SQUEE!). Hubby and I are seeing Lindsey Stirling (“hip hop” violinist, but really a violinist who plays everything and anything. I love it.)

OMG LONG. Ok. Sorry. Wanted to squee about the Field experience. Bye!

My view in 11 days. Photo by Family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect