School and goal completions!

Finals are coming! Finals are coming!

School:

I've been pretty busy. It's that time of year when studying for exams and writing final papers takes up almost all my time. For example, I attended an exam review yesterday that took four hours.

Image from "Reflections
 on becoming a teacher"
I finished my first set of Observation hours for my Intro to Ed class. It was very... illuminating. I happened to be reading Setting Limits in the Classroom by Robert J. MacKenzie Ed.D. at the time so I actually got to see the control methods in action (or inaction...). I did enjoy the experience and look forward to next semester. I hope I get another high school biology course (the grade and subject is not guaranteed).

I got a 79% on my second Genetics exam. It kind of makes me twitch to be SO CLOSE to the B and just unable to grasp it. I know it's because I'm STILL not spending enough time on it, even though it feels like some days I do nothing BUT genetics.

I've registered for next semester (though I'm still waiting on one professor to email me back). All, but one, classes are online. I'm hoping to take a wee trip next semester and wanted to be able to take classes at the same time. It'll be a lot of work, but I'm so close to being done that I'm getting excited about it.

Training and Therapy:

My knee is still bothering me. The ITBS told me squarely that I was still limited a few weeks ago but I can't seem to shake it this time. The limping is almost gone and now only comes near the end of my three mile walks. I'm trying to remember to ice it. I keep thinking I should just sit in the pool for ten minutes and get the whole lower half... but it's COLD!!

I finished my second Nerdfitness Challenge. My score is kinda bad. My goals (and grades) were:
Rangers!
Do all the things!
Cardio 3x a week: 72%
Strength 3x a week: 44% (ew)
Study 2 hours per day: 79%
Stick to my food reform: 97%!
Since it's RP based our goals earn us attribute points. I gained:  2.4WIS, 3.2STR, 2.9CON, 2.2STA.

The next challenge starts Monday, Nov 12. Most of the goals are the same.

Cardio or walking 3x a week, Strength or flexibility 3x a week, Study 3 hours per day (up from 2), and I'm swapping the diet goal I did so well on for another life goal: minimizing my possessions. I love the way a house looks when you move in... right before you bring in the boxes.
From her Site.
I read miss minimalist (sic) and while the ultra-minimalism isn't for me she has some really good points that just ring true with me. I've been working on it here and there, decluttering old papers by getting them scanned and recycling them and donating clothes I don't wear and plushies that I didn't remember I owned, books I don't read, that sort of thing. It feels weirdly good to get rid of stuff. There are obviously things I can't bear to part with but I noticed that I can list them from memory when I need to. I figured "Hey! If I don't remember I own it, it must not be that important". Last week I listed all the movies I thought were on my shelf. When I got home and checked I'd missed SEVEN of them. If they'd gone missing when I was at work I wouldn't have noticed! I listed five of them online and they all sold within a day. I did keep two... A Dracula collection in a keen tin and a Three Musketeers multidisc collector's set. SO, that's my other goal. I kind of want to be able to fit my life into my car. Husband doesn't own much (outside of military gear) and keep thinking how cool it would be to load up what means most to us and stuff the animals in the car and just drive around the country seeing ruins and hiking canyons and camping and WEE now I'm getting excited.

I also finished the first leg of my walk to Erebor "An Unexpected Journey, Part 1". The first leg was 397 miles from Hobbiton to Rivendell. If you don't know what those are, don't worry. It's based on the book The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein. When I was putting the dates in the blog page (from my pt log) I notice I accidentally traveled to a few places TWICE. I really arrived in Rivendell October 15!

"An Unexpected Journey, Part 2", from Rivendell to Erebor is 570 miles (as listed on the site I use to note the distances logged in the book). When I tucked it into my spreadsheet, however, it summed to 580. Since there are "bonus miles" tucked into some of the chapters I'll leave them as is. I'm already 30 miles in! I'll add the mileage breakdown link to the Quest Page when I finish tweaking it. Currently some checkpoints are 30 miles and one is 133. I'm going to even them out a little.
I originally was going to reward myself with seeing The Hobbit (part one) in Theaters opening night if I completed both legs by then, but I don't think I'm going to make it. Booooo!

That's pretty much everything. School, work, trying to PT, and more school.


Jay, Francine. miss minimalist. Web. Accessed 2012 Nov 11. [http://www.missminimalist.com]

"Reflections of being a teacher". Web. Accessed 2012 Nov 11. [http://sunshine-in-washington.blogspot.com/]

Ranger icon: NerdFitness Forums. Web. Accessed 2012 Nov 11. [http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18688-WeyrCat-DragonRider-(Challenge-2)]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect