Teaching Internship and Family Gatherings

Happy Autumnal Equinox!
Yesterday, September 22, was the Autumnal Equinox and the starts the last quarter turn before winter. It's been a pretty touch quarter for me, so I'm hoping to kind of slide into a more relaxed, but more focused, state of being.

A Student Teaching Opportunity!
HS Sci Teacher Ms. Pasiewicz
Part of my education courses require to me to observe in a classroom for 15 hours this semester. One of my classmates is in another program that allows her to intern. The difference between observing and interning is activity; an intern is more like a Teaching Assistant and can grade, give short lessons, and in this case, get paid a little. I contacted the program director, that day, and even though the application process was closed they worked with me to find me a placement! I'm so excited! In fact, one of the liaisons saw "Secondary Biology" on my after-the-fact application and pitched me to the principal of a local high school, so I actually get to intern in a 9th grade Biology classroom! Double excited! Starting October it's a once-a-week internship. Currently the hours do not count toward the 15 hours required by the university's Education Department, but my professor was so impressed by my opportunity-seizing that he's willing to accept them. This week I'll tie up loose ends and get everything else worked out. Squee!

Family.
Yesterday we spent the majority of the day with Husband's family. I wish it would have been happier, but it was really just, sad. It poured pretty much the whole time, so I'm really glad it was an inside service. I did get to meet Husband's great-aunt, and see about a hundred amazing photos I'd never seen before. Walking through someone's house when you know they'll never come back to it is eerie. All the cool knick-knacks and art and furniture, all the stuff... I tried to imagine some of it in our home or in my Mother-in-Law's, but it just feels weird! I don't envy my mother-in-law or her sister as they try to figure out how to split up what's left of their mom's life. Buddy, her dog, seems really depressed. Me too, Buddy.

More Family!
On the Brighter Side of Life... I get to see both my mom and my granma in February! SQUEE! I haven't seen them both since my wedding (four years ago) and I've only seen either of them once since then. I think I get to see some of my mom's family in December too, but I need to double check that. I'm really looking forward to the end of this semester and some quality time with my family.
I'm spending a lot more hobby-time focusing on my genealogy, since I hit a major node on my dad's side. A distant cousin has a really fat GEDCOM up on RootsWeb, with over 4,000 individuals in it! (The link there shows my great grandfather back to Sir Jerome Lindsey, born 1564 in Scotland!) I love finding a stalk that goes so far back! My record is still abt.1499 England.
I'm using a new genealogy program that allows me to sort of "prune" branches that I'm only distantly, or not, related to. It took my original tree and pruned it from 550 to 350, and pruned the new gedcom from about 4400 to 500. My new and improved family tree (Dad's side only) has about 850 people in it, goes back to include my mainline family, their spouses, and two generations of descendents. I could have pruned more descendents, but I like to leave some fruit for other related genealogists to latch onto. If we didn't do that I probably never would have found this second node!

I'm sure there's some cools science articles I read this week, or something else I meant to add and am forgetting, but so far this pretty accurately represents my priorities: family and school. Until next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect