Review: A Perfect Blood - Kim Harrison


A Perfect Blood
A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



It is so wonderful to finish another book in a loved series. /comfy sigh/.
Number 10 in the Dead Witch Walking series, Witches and demons and vamps and weres, a deadly sword-weilding pixy with a creatively vulgar volcabulary, a and a main character who thinks like I do... Gun fightin, spell throwin, dagger wielding, mouthin off. So much fun. My favorite part of Rachel is how closely I identify with her; she's like my rash thoughts turned to action. It's why she's in trouble a lot, but also why she's so exciting and fun to read.
I was on pins and needles waiting to get to read this (I have to wait for semester breaks) and I started it the day after exams... and finished it 36 hours later (I had to work)! I loved it. The pacing is perfect. The characters are changing a little, but in understandable ways. There's not a jot in the book where I went "Hey, that doesn't make sense" and unless it WAS explained later. It's a great piece of writing. There are juuuust enough threads to leave me with the sense of "omgosh.. what's going to happen with THAT next time?" and I love it!!

It's SO HARD not to tuck spoilers in here.
Summary: If you haven't read the earlier 9 volumes, I think you should, obviously. However, you CAN read this as standalone. Harrison is fantastic about giving you succinct background on little things that had big consequences for the mind of our characters. Some writers who have to "fill in" the new reader do it in a way that feels exasperating and detracting (love ya Hamilton, but this is you) but Harrison is minimalistic in her method and the "fill in" flows as smoothly as your thoughts. I'm excitedly waiting on the mass market release, AND on the next novel.

SQUEEEEEEEEE!

On a side note: I read the Hardcover release and Harrison blogged that the mass market release will have one of the chapters from another character's point of view. I, of course, have a particular chapter, and character, in mind for the reversal but am excited to see which ever it is when I get to! I'll try to tuck it in here as an "edit" when I get to it.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect