20120806 School, Miami

In school:
I got a 54% (108/200) on my Chem2 final. Average was 98/200. I got a B (3.0) in the class. Officially have an A in the Lab. Husband graduated with his Bachelor's in Science of Mathematics, Summa Cum Laude. He chose not to walk. Seriously, it's $200 for the garb, and no one would be able to go anyway!

From Nursing to Teaching:
    I'm now studying for my teaching program's entrance exam; it's on the 15th! Wish me luck! I have officially put in the paperwork to switch my major (you may remember I was kicked back onto the waiting list for the Nursing program last year). I'd decided to be a nurse a few years back for the wrong reasons: yes, there's job security in being able to find a job where-ever my military husband ended up, there would also be good pay, an interesting and challenging work environment, and I'd be helping people! All these things I want, but I'd honestly decided to be a nurse because I didn't know what else to do at the time. I'd been told of other nurses in my family, been told I'd be good at it, and later I had friends also taking nursing, and I was LOVING Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology... but the whole time I was saving pinboard borders to my Amazon wishlist. (You know, there's always a board in class with wavy border and some info on it.. those borders).

    I fell in love with science in 7th grade, when Mrs. Keefer (a short, curly-red haired woman) taught us about bones, muscles, and taught us to dissect things. Though at the same time I was becoming addicted to writing, my love of science has propelled me through school. Even my regrets over high-school are centered over losing out on the advanced science classes thanks to my truancy! So, I'm going to go back to 7th grade, and teach biology! The degree also lets me teach high school, which would be great too! Though, if a student catches me calling feces "poop", I definitely won't take her out to the hallway to tell her it's because the rest of the class isn't smart enough to understand the word "feces" and tell her she should stop being know-it-allsy in class. (Yes, this actually happened to me.)

  -Note: This does not put me back in graduating. Everything I've taken so far counts towards the bachelors in science for secondary education: Biology. Even the "not required" Physics 1, since it's a "hidden pre-req" for one of the required courses.

In fun:
    We hung out with Adam Simmons (an old SCA friend I haven't seen in 4-5 years) in Miami FL with with lady friend Judy B. He's super cool and it was very fun to hang out with him again. We sipped and supped and saw a great Flamenco Dancer! Also: ate at a wonderful Cuban restaurant/bakery. My savory plantain pie was amazing. The guava cheesecake and cafe con leche for dessert was wonderful! (Sorry, pounced on it, there's no photo)!

We started the night off with dinner at a Cuban restaurant slash bakery Versailles. If you ever get to go to Little Havana in Miami, you NEED to eat here. Get the plantain pie.

Adam and me showing off how cool we are!

Shane and Ms. Judy B.. He always makes that face.

It turned out that where we randomly chose to eat had a live Flamenco show! We bought their CDs and just sat in hand-clapping awe. She was wonderful! She's so tiny too!

When she came around to sell their CDs were captured her for a photo. She was very sweet and had a tiny voice too!

Adam and Judy's "postcard" shot in front of the lively Miami night. Her shirt says "I'm in Miami Bitch!"

Our "postcard" photo. Yea.. he's making that /other/ face. :P

I really think Adam's Cuban pimp hat was the star of the night! Here we are at our last stop, rife with sugar-cane chewing but short on kareoke. They didn't have anything we knew! Ok, anything Adam knew, he was the guinea pig.

Pimp-Mathster 9000.
 It was super-fun to get to hang out with Adam again and we seriously need to do it more than every 4-5 years. I think it'll be out turn to fly to AZ though!

Edit: I found I have a decent video of the Flamenco!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect