$179 vs $29. Yes, it's a real question. Glasses...

Hmm, I've worn the same pair of frames for 6 years. Change the lenses lazily (about every two, when I should do them every year). I pretty much only get them updated when taking them off and squinting seems to work better. Now, I didn't like these frames when I got them, they were a lopsided compromise, and I've been hunting around for new ones. I found a few I like, and even almost purchased a cute cheapy pair. However...

I ran into a pair the other day that I actually tried on twice. (Trust me, it's significant.)
But they cost WAY more than I've ever spent on a pair of glasses. (I'm cheap, too!)
I've hunted around online and found the only three places that sell the pair. Even the most expensive online store is less expensive than the walk-in glasses place. Then I worked out lens pricing.

Shop Online Cheapies.
TOTAL ~300 ~179 ~29
Frames. 178 99 10
AntiGlare- 60 30 5
Scratch-resist ?? 7 NA
UV-block ?? 7 NA, add $3 for clip on shades.

I stopped hunting shop prices, well, she stopped letting me hunt with "well we really need to see the frames and blah blah blah". Unless you're going to charge me an extra $5 for each square-micrometer, I'm betting those prices don't/shouldn't change. You just want me in the store so you can pressure-sell. Bite me.

Why I need those things above: 
-AntiGlare. Have astigmatism? Tried driving at night? LOOK AT THE PRETTY LIGHTS!!! It's like acid-light. Neat, and kind of relaxing if you don't focus on any light and give yourself a headache. Difficult to drive with.
-Scratch-resistant: Did I mention I've had these lenses two years? I'm not 'hard' on glasses, but I do WEAR them, take them off, drop them, stuff them in weird places when I forget my case... Oh, and my right lens has a centimeter long Temper-toothmark. Even scratch-resist can't solve everything.
-UV-Block. I like my retinas, thank you. And it's not a whole lot more to get a teensy bit of block for when it's too dark to wear shades.

The two pair I'm comparing pricewise are shown below. Sorry the pictures aren't me facing the same way in each instance. The Dexter photo is my in the digital "try it on" and the Sinister was taken in a hurry while trying to show off the super-cool purple/gold marbling that makes the arm look like purpley wood! I've included images of the frames in complimentary angles. The bottom pair are the cheapies that I like. The frontal-photo makes me think I should be wielding a crow-bar and spattered with alien blood, but the other photo shows that rectangles really aren't all that bad on me.


SO... The question goes,
Get another pair of glasses I can Live With, that I like better than the pair I'm currently wearing, cause Hey! I'll still be able to see!
or
Get the pair of glasses I think are super cool lookin'?
and
No, getting lenses for the pair I have isn't an option. It would actually cost me over $150 to "bring my own frames" to these damn glasses vendors. No, I haven't shopped around to heavily yet, 'cause I hate these frames. Really. I can't wait to donate them. They won't want them. 

If getting to choose the latter, how do I reconcile the price O_O I don't really waste a whole lot of money. Salsarita's once a month is about 8$; I haven't bought wine in a while; I don't have a gym membership or a game subscription; my birthday isn't until April; I've sold most of the stuff I can sell; Hmm....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect