110929 Stress, Grades, and EASY Recipes

Highlighted Cliffnotes for you TLDR's.


I've discovered I'm over-busy.
Full time work, full time school, part time dog mom and wife. Yep, wifery is now only part time, and I don't like that. Work used to be the place I got most school work done, when I only had 2-3 classes and could squeeze hw/study in between cars and on the Easy Day (Sunday), AND, if I was too burned out from a Hard Saturday to do much of anything on Sunday I didn't suffer too badly.

I'm suffering.

I was sick most of this month (allergies plus tired plus brain fried plus eating like crap 'cause we didn't have time to cook.... ). I'm walking proof that when I get poor sleep (6,6,10,8,10,5,8) and eat garbage, you feel like garbage. I actually don't know what day it is somedays. I'm not exaggerating. I also missed an online quiz for chem. I plum forgot. Ten points. Forgot.

I did do decent on my first midterms: 
-Chem's 79 was raised to an 88, due to some questions he didn't like. Need much more work.
-History of Civ, 103. Got them all right, including the extra credit. Needs less work. Ok, maybe not, she was unhappy so next test will be "identification of terms". Bleh. How can someone make ME tired of pre-1500s??
-Got a B- on my Biostats report. He was very clear that everyone who didn't have a title lost a whole letter grade. Oops.
-Biodiversity lecture, I got an 86. Really want to bring it up, I also really blame her weird life cycle. I KNOW the life cycle, but when I filled the chart out and then moved to the questions on it, the questions make it clear that she was putting things in a different way (rotating some of them a quarter turn clockwise, for example, which would make them in the wrong place at first glance.... won't know, she doesn't let you review them).
-Biodiv Lab, I got 38/35. Missed one, got the EC, and he gave everyone 2 points for "fuzzy photos". They weren't, and it makes me wonder if grades were low.
-Chem Lab, no practical. But I did drop my grade from an A (91) to a C (78) by missing that online quiz :( Should be able to bring it up simply by doing the rest (raise the average with more entries). I'm still upset though.

Pulled myself out a little bit this week, whipped up Crock Pot Chicken Stroganoff (one night's dinner, one day's lunch) on Tuesday. We found time to run yesterday (1mi R, 0.5mi W, 0.5mi R, 2mi Wback), but ended with with Turkeyized-Hamburger Helper for dinner. Cooking for today through the weekend, and I remember now why I loved my toaster oven. The house isn't a bajillion degrees, but I broiled Greek Swordfish and am baking Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes! I also have Mexican Chicken in the crock pot. BAM! :P

So, trying to slam water and get stuff done. Three exams next week.
I'd blather more, but I'm busy! :D
Here's the recipes I'm using/adapting, btw.

Recipes below!
Crock Pot Chicken Stroganoff


1 lb frozen boneless skinless chicken breast (used thawed thighs)
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can fat-free cream of mushroom soup (just low sodium)
16 ounces fat free sour cream
1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
Directions:

1 Put frozen chicken in bottom of crock pot.
2 Mix soup, sour cream, and onion soup mix.
3 Pour over chicken.
4 Cook on low for 7 hours (or high for 4 hours).
5 Serve over rice or noodles (rotini!)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mediterranean Stuffed Swordfish

2 (8 ounce) swordfish steak (about 2 inches thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cups fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and torn into bite size pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup crumbled feta
Directions

(I broiled mine. Five mins was too much and cooked it through, but didn't burn/overcook O_o)

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
Cut a slit in steak to create a pocket that is open on one side only. In a cup, mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil and lemon juice; brush over both sides of fish. Set aside.
In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Cook spinach in oil until wilted. Remove from heat, and stuff into pocket. Place feta in pocket over spinach.
Arrange fish on grill, and cook for 8 minutes. Turn over, and continue cooking until cooked through.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
(I scaled down to just make two).

6 sweet potatoes, even in size and scrubbed
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2 Place sweet potatoes on sheet tray and bake for 1 hour or until soft. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
3 Split potatoes and remove the flesh to a medium sized bowl, reserving skins. In another bowl, add brown sugar, butter and cream cheese and the all of the spices and mash with a fork or rubber spatula.
4 Add the butter and cream cheese mixture to the sweet potato flesh and fold in completely. Add the filling back to the potato skins and place on a half sheet tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crock Pot Mexican Chicken With Black Beans

4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) jar salsa (Newman's Black Bean and Corn!!)
4 ounces fat free cream cheese
4 ounces nonfat sour cream
Directions:

1 Place all ingredients except cream cheese and sour cream in crock pot.
2 Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours.
3 Last 45 minutes add sour cream and cream cheese.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect