Paliphrasia/Palilalia

I always wondered if there was a name for it. I was sure there was, humans name everything. When I was young I would mouth or whisper the last sentence I said. I started trying to stop when people started pointing it out, though I still did it in my head. It happened more obviously when I spoke spontaneously (any normal conversation not rehearsed) so I thought it may be mind-to-mouth in reverse, as if people think-then-speak but because I spoke first my brain would rewind and then think.

I still sometimes do it, but when I'm alone I do it outloud, sometimes complete with smiling and hand gestures. Sometimes I review whole short conversations (just my side). I've been doing it a lot lately (or maybe it seems like a lot lately since I noticed I still do it). Today I finally looked it up.

Most of the people who say they did it say they had normal to advanced language development. This is different from what Einstein had; he developed language slow and repeated sentences to himself Before speaking (according to one poster). It can be packaged with autism, OCD, and some other things. There's another version, echolalia, where the person not only repeats themselves but other people's speech.

Wiki calls it palilalia. "...The repetition or echoing of one's own spoken words." They draw their source from a text on Tourette's syndrom.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palilalia

American Heritage Medical Dictionary 2007 determines palilalia to be the repeating of words at the end of a sentence with increasing rapidity.
-http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=palilalia
They call paliphrasia the "involuntary repetition of words or sentences in talking." Although it doesn't mention rapidity, it does offer palilalia as a synonym.
-http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=paliphrasia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect