2020 Top Ten Books

I reread the Dresden Files this past year, gearing up for the double release of
1. Peace Talks &
2. Battle Ground by Jim Butcher.
The really are one book, cut down the center for length. There's about one minute of time passing between the two books. I thoroughly enjoyed them both, though I had to stop and reread the first half of Battle Ground, it moved that fast.

3. Driftwood by Marie Brennan.
I love her for her Lady Trent books but I haven't read any of her high fantasy. Her world building was great, and I loved the method of story telling in this book.

4. The Widow by Fiona Barton.
Murder mystery told in boomerang time over five characters. I couldn't put it down.

5. American Demon - Kim Harrison.
This is the book I never thought there would be; I thought she was done writing this series and I am do glad she gave in. Even after everything the story and characters felt fresh.

6. Honor Girl - Maggie Thrash.
Graphic memoir of a lesbian coming out at a conservative summer camp.

7. Dragon Keeper - Robin Hobb
A high fantasy novel that feels like it's the middle of a series instead of the beginning of one. I can't tell if it ties in to others. I loved the characters but it did feel like there was something missing. I hope to find it in the next novel.

8. They Called Us Enemy - George Takei
I cried. Beautiful, and so awful.

9. Blood of Tyrants - Naomi Novak
I love this series but it really just didn't grab me until the final battle. Why is it in my top ten? Because the flashbacks were like mini episodes and I did like them individually, but I don't feel it as a cohesive novel.

10. The Lost Girls of Paris - Pam Jennifer
Based on the true British female spy ring. Quite a good read. Made me very curious about the facts. (And I guess it's going to a film in 2121!)

Honorable Mentions:
The Turn - Kim Harrison
Steam Train Dream Train - Sherri Dusky Rinker
The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski

And yea. It's only Dec 19, but I'm reading the latest Anita Blake "Sucker Punch", and after the last few Laurel K. Hamilton books I seriously doubt this has a chance to make Top Ten.

And I also SO MANY Thomas the Tank Engine books. Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

School, Geekery, and Science!

Classroom Architect