Review: Trespassing Across America: One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland

Trespassing Across America: One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland Trespassing Across America: One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland by Ken Ilgunas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I heard of this book when looking for an alternate to another hiking book I wasn't able to get at my local library, and I'm do glad I did. I chose to listen to the audiobook over a set of 8 hour drives, and it was the perfect time to do it. The long drive helped me feel like I was hiking with him, and his descriptions of the people and places he saw helped to paint a secondary vision for my own trip.

I saw a few other reviews mention that they felt the author "lost touch" with the original intent of bringing awareness to the Keystone XL, but I don't feel like it's the case. Firstly, because the KXL was really a secondary motivation for the walk in the first place and remains in that secondary position throughout the book. In addition, the author dips back into the KXL whenever there's an opportunity to, such as the rally, and presumably throughout his blogging. However, as he mentions, on long walks or hikes, it really it all about the walking. The minutiae is front and center, and I feel he does a great job of bringing that to the reader.

I loved the book so much, I bought it.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect