Appalachian Trail Summary: 25 miles through Georgia

Let me tell you a little about what I did last week! I hiked nearly 25 miles of Appalachian Trail in Georgia, with the Certified Student Leadership course I took (the "Wilderness Track"). We Drive to Georgia on May 2nd, and from May 3rd until May 7th, backpacked up and down the mountains. I really believe it's the hardest thing I have ever done. I'd gotten to know the other students just a little, but I believe I've made a few new good friends. I was so nervous that my knee or slowness would make me a liability, but as we went along we all adjusted to each other and learned how to support one another. We each had a day where we led the entire group, and on my day a girl twisted her ankle, exacerbating an an old injury. It was really hard to keep camp organized for such a long period of time. We hiked only 3 miles that day and after just an hour in camp people were napping and wandering off. I found it so much harder to organize them in camp than on the trail! The instructor told me later that it's often true, and is made more pronounced by a weakness of mine: getting people's attention, and then keeping it. I tend to just do a needed task, myself. I learned that can enable laziness at a time when action is needed. So, something to work on.



We walked about 9 miles the first day, then 3, then 9 again, then another 3. With side hikes on the short days and just camp walking to get things done (fetch water to purify or hang "bear bags" to protect our food from animals and us from the animals looking for it, I logged 50 miles for the week! And I am SORE. So sore. Just one good blister on a pinky toe, but my heels and big toes were numb, numb, numb. I've pull my right trapezius, and reaching for anything is excruciating unless I completely relax my head and neck. Part of that was the 40 pound packs we were wearing. I think most of these folks hadn't hiked long distances before, or overnight, and the meal plans we carried around! I think we ate fancier than I cook. Tomato soup, Lentils Marsala, baked potatoes, fresh apples and oranges, fifteen-bean soup and quinoa, I swear 2/3 my pack weight were canned goods. Some things were dehydrated, but I cannot believe we ended up with two bags of apples. Just, really..? We had to choose a name for ourselves and aptly chose "Bear Bait Food Truck". 

The entire trip was just amazing, and I learned a lot about my leadership abilities, and what I think I'm willing/capable to do while hurting. I felt the week was the "final exam" of the Wilderness Leadership Course, and I believe I passed. In the beginning of August I'll get the chance to lead university freshman on a frontcountry (much easier) hiking/camping trip, and actually complete the leadership certificate. That's the real "final" for the course, but this trip was the real test for me.

Not a perfect map, but this is pretty much it. :)






We arrived at night and hiked up to our first camp, just half a mile. In the dark. Without my glasses. HA!
At a scenic overlook called "Ashlyn's Rock". I never knew rocks could be so comfortable, but after 6-7 miles sitting on anything is comfortable. 


Our highly expressive flag, showing our trek and "power words". I chose patience, because I've really needed it lately. (This still isn't its final form, either!)



At Cedar Point scenic overlook. Our first big reward! About 1 mile into Day 3 (10-11 miles total). 



The actual view!



At Woody Gap! Our Halfway Point! This was the day I led (from the rear on the march, and then camp). Some of us went on a 3 mile side-hike to RamRock, since the day had been called short on account of sprain.



At our final campsite, a stone shelter on top Blood Mountain. (About 12 miles after the Woody Gap picture!)


Sunset at Blood Mountain. 



The next morning we limped down the mountain (why did the last 3 miles have to be downhill, 45 degrees, on awful awful rocks??) and our sprainee completed a final twist on her ankle. It was a sloooow trip down the mountain, with the gimp (me) leading the gimp (her). My knees had finally had it, and her ankle was shot, so someone in front of me helped me down large rocks, and then I helped her down. All in all I think we all did a remarkable job!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect