2015 March 20 CoS Research Day

Presenting to a peer judge at
College of Science's Research Day.
After those first two "practice sessions" presenting at GPSA and Environmental Science Research Days, I brushed up some of the topics and questions  recommended to me, and presented again March 20 at the College of Science Research Day. I did miss getting to run around like I owned the place (as I did as Lead Volunteer last year), and go sit with the volunteer judges for a yummy buffet lunch, but it was nice to talk to people about my proposed research, too. The best part was the recommendations. So many people knew of similar research or sources of data, or knew someone I could/should ask about my methodology. It takes a village to raise a child, and it seems to go for graduate students as well!



I did get at least one peer judge from my department. It was interesting relating my methodology to biological methods and terms, and I feel like I really connected with that Biological Engineering peer judge. I even got to give my presentation to some club members from SEEDS (Strategies for Ecology Education, Diversity and Sustainability) the FAU club focused on undergraduate academic research in biology, environmental, and Earth sciences. They were on a mission to peer critique some of the posters for a class. I felt like I blew them away (HA) and it was nice to be less on my guard about messing up. I should present to my friends all the time, it's a huge ego boost.

Presenting to a peer judge at College of Science's Research Day.


Shane, on the other hand, didn't get a peer judge in mathematics. We are a little concerned by that. Granted, on the one side we both had high expectations for him since he swooped in and won last year, though it was his first poster and he put little into the "prettiness" factor. It was a good poster, by the way, straightforward, just black and white. Neither of us won, and we both wonder just a teeeensy bit, what the scores look like and if we'll get to see them. I heard from a mathematician that, based on content, it was really down to Shane and one other, yet neither of them one. Granted, I didn't get to read the poster that won (occupational hazard of presenting) and I'm sure it was brilliant, but one never knows. I had a similar feeling about the ENVS winners. I had a chance to read the first year's poster that one, and it was a really good project, and will be useful (I think). However, I felt mine was better and though it has a less-broad scope, has a more immediate need and usefulness. I feel if I had presented better I would have scored better. TO selfishly put it, because let's face it, it's vanity at this point, obviously I think I should have won (and as everyone else thinks they should have, HA!)

Shane presenting to a peer in the mathematics program (though not a judge).
 Being drawn from a pool of the science department, of which I'm a part of, I thought I'd know more of the winners. I know Kate P. (she rocks my socks) and Mark R. is one of my TA's (in a class I take). I recognize two (one, only because he won at GPSA). Still, we all jealously congratulate the winners! (Genuine smile!)

Congratulations to the 2015 College of Science Research Day Winners!



 Though the event itself is put on by the College of Science, the judges are provided by the College of Science Graduate Association. Our treasurer Cleo put together a panel of peer (graduate student) judges and tried to cover every department. They did a great job, overall. I think some of the snafu with Shane's judging came from the fact that when the panel got there they found that all the boards and participants had been renumbered! They spent the first 15 minutes re-assigning everyone presenters! CSGA takes care of its volunteers, and all were treated for a buffet lunch in the universities huge treasure-trove of a cafeteria. Honestly, intrinsic value of volunteering aside, I think I was most sad I missed out on the lunch! We had mini-subs as presenters. Not bad, but not really a draw to attend. As president of CSGA this year I'm super proud of how hard they worked, and work, on all our events! (You can check us out on Facebook, or on Collegiate Link!)

College of Science Graduate Association Judges

A brief recollection on last year's Environmental Science retreat:

Last year I learned about the ES Retreat because I was getting a certificate in Environmental Science. They had two great speakers. Mike Davis, famous around the Everglades circle for his longtime effort to get CERP written and passed, spoke with a presentation about that endeavor. He was motivating, if a bit aloof personally. Dr. _(Trying to look it up, I can't find my notes)_ spoke about prairie potholes (wetlands) and the multitude of anti-wetland acts in rural America. I had no IDEA there were wetlands in places like Illinois (that weren't just lakes)! It was a fascinating talk, my favorite of the evening (if just for all the things I learned)!

My proposal poster, should you choose to peruse it. 

Shane's poster. Beautiful, but I don't think the image large enough to read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect