Review: Torchwood S3.

About the Blog: I know I don't post very much, really, at all, anymore. But I finished all the classes I need for my bachelors and that took a lot of time. I'll make a WooHoo post about that too when the grades are finalized. Until then, I'll be posting the writings for Anthropology of Nature, and as always, my short book reviews cross-posted from GoodReads.

Finished Torchwood (sans Miracle Day). FEELS. I was so busy watching it, and the omigod-long TBC-set that was the last season, that I didn't even realize it was the last season. I really loved the first two seasons, even when they were over the top, but the season 3 mini-season "Children of the Earth" really didn't do it for me. I was already upset over some events in the end of season 2 that didn't jive with my vision of the show, particularly that a couple episodes felt like the writers were asleep, not fact-checking, or didn't have a female on staff to tell them that something was not plausible regarding a female character. It's not terribly a spoiler, so let's say that if I see two nurses in a room with people they say "aren't breathing", and no one has put a respirator on them anyway, you're doing something wrong.

To console myself at the end of the legitimate series, I Who-geeked out a little and I stumbled upon Who-Ah-Ha "Take On Me" short. It's pretty cool. But, what next? I heard Miracle Day was awful. I'll have to watch it either way, I suppose. After all, I DID spend all that time hunting and watching the lost Who episodes that are basically still photographs and repeater-gifs played over a voicetrack. Just to have watched it all. I suppose it would be silly to not watch Torchwood jumping the shark.


Now. Miracle Day. I still haven't seen it, and will probably do a little post when I DO see it. But first, I'll be listening to Torchwood: The Lost Files, a three episode radio-show that precedes Season 4: Miracle Day. (Spoilers in that link).

http://www.themarysue.com/doctor-who-take-on-me/


(Torchwood Spoilers after the break. And pictures. Though none of them are spoilers.)
Image by eleventhtenth on DeviantArt.

In season 3 I found myself really wanting to like Owen, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd seen him use alien technology on two random people in a bar, with intent to date rape them. It was implied that he did this frequently. Ok, so it's not as bad (supposedly) as Susie's killing people in order to try to control death with the Heavy Metal Glove of Resurrection +2, but, is, ew. Just, wrong and ew. The writers tried to make him more personable and human and flawed when he fell in love with the anachronistic pilot, but it still didn't work for me. They then made it pretty clear that they were killing him off. By killing him. But then they didn't. Okay, so it's not exactly jumping the shark, but still a little farther out there than their usual "out thereness". (I mean come on, Jack "dies to death" a demon. The show is pretty out there.)

Oh, my, god, and Tosh. I feel like they completely hollowed her out. Reduced her to an Owen-Puppy, where the more he ignored her the more she loved him. Just. What? Why? And no, the Backwards Day episode where he loved her and she ignored him, did not make up for it. Though it was nice to see her confident and brilliant again.

The increase in Jack/Ianto obviousness was kind of nice, if less subtle. Like, them half naked and snogging subtle. Still, it worked.

Have I mentioned how much I love that his lab coat has buttons all over it?
It felt ragged, the way they ended everything. They kill off Owen, then wait, then really kill him, letting Tosh die with him in some whacked out allusion to Romeo and Juliet (I know, she dies from something else, but come on....). And Ianto was so, sudden. So, well I suppose it was realer than any other death they'd had on the show. Bam, it happened, deal with it. I think it took until that moment to realize the show was really ending. One thing I think they really did well, was Jack's daughter and grandson. I'm not sure how I feel about his sperm actually working, in his unique state, but sure. I would have went with the Highlanderesque explanation of 'adopted daughter'. The bit with his grandson in the end, I highly approved of, though it broke my heart.
He really does know everything.
However, two points for Spike (James Marsters) as Capt. John Hart in Season 2 (since I didn't blog about it). I loved to hate him, and even liked the reprisal in Season 3, though some of the circumstances of that episode also jumped the shark a little.
I LOVE the coats. And Hart's boots. And pretty much everything else.
PS: It appears to be generally unsafe to search "Capt John Hart", with or without "Jack Harkness", unless you have SafeSearch on. On, Internet.
Image from TVFodder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect