Review: Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander: The Story of Alexander the Great's Invasion of the Middle East


Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander: The Story of Alexander the Great's Invasion of the Middle East
Bullheaded Black Remembers Alexander: The Story of Alexander the Great's Invasion of the Middle East by J.L. Taylor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



[Minor Character trait Spoilers]



Full Disclosure: I received this novel from the author to read and review.

I haven't fact-checked the history in this novel, as there is much, but it is jam-packed with the historic timeline of Alexander the Great. The dialogue is obviously invented (it IS a horse speaking) but it flows the story along nicely. I enjoyed the scenes with Aristotle very much. It does seem to be a bit above the age level I assumed the book was for and I think it's because of the detailed "textbook-style" format of the historic information. Like, a horse explaining calculus, it works and draws the information to the interest of the age-group, but still seems a bit high. It's recommended a student read the novel in small chunks if the historic information is the focus of reading it, otherwise it may be "glazed over" and still incite the curiousity of regions and battles.

I take issue with one line, in a nit-picky feminist way. On p114 they're talking about conquering Eqypt and use the line "Egypt would be his if he wanted her". We're basically invoking a rape trope here as we anthropomorphise a country into a woman that we take by force, occupying her whether "she" wants to be occupied or not. I think these types of notions are easily avoided and should be, especially when writing for younger minds. They may not put the connections together but it still seeds the idea as acceptable.

I think the introductory ideal of "freedom of race and religion" is well supported in the story before Alex and Heph go to war, though not necessarily by Alex. During the war we see more of Alex saying "Let's all praise Zeus" and lamenting his actions of selling people into slavery. It is nicely "resurrected" when Alex appreciates the funeral rituals and religious views of the Egyptians.

I LOVE the relationship with Heph and the constant reminding of Heph's views. It adds an extra level to the "religious freedoms" idea in the novel that is largely omitted in real life. Since I've already spoiled the novel for you, Heph seems an atheist and holds disdain for mythologies and "suffering in the name of religion" yet Alex, a religious man, remains close friends with him.

Overall I think it was a great book. I really enjoyed reading it. The timeline at the end with major dates and events really cool. I do recommend it for high school age kids. Well done.





View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect