Lazy gets what lazy earns.

So, I subscribe to a couple different blogs. I like to read them instead of the 'morning paper'.
One woman was trying to get into nursing school at the same time I was. She got in, I didn't, but we still poke each other back and forth. She wrote, and deleted, a post about people not holding up their end of some school work. We all encounter that in school, work, family, etc, and I felt the need to write her back. I ended up motivating mySELF with my comment, so I wanted to post it here. I want to be able to refer to it whenever I get frustrated for 'having to do it all myself'.


"I'm making this comment based on a post you made that no longer exists, and since you may not want that content out and abouts, I'll make my reply a wee vague. Hopefully you'll still 'get it'. ;)

I transferred out of pre-nursing and back into Biology, so I knew that I was putting myself back into a realm dominated by people who just want their C average to get their degree and get out. Sometimes it's almost funny, getting an email the day before an exam from a girl who claims her computer crashed and wiped out all her notes from this past unit, asking someone to send her theirs. I used to be the person who, when getting an email saying someone missed a day, would send them my notes. I quit after one semester where the same girl sent the same email every week, for three weeks. She wasn't even attending, but was getting my detailed, touch-of-OCD notes! I felt silly for letting myself be used. The same kind of thing happen in group projects. I just finished one where the others in my group sent me 'what they had' two days before it was due, and it was obvious they'd cranked it out in 10 minutes. I spent 8 hours yesterday 'fixing' a project we had 2 weeks to do because I had to do the work of three people. And, I'm going to get an A on it... but they will too.

Why the long story? I complained, at length, to my husband who gave me great advice on it... All the work I do, even if it benefits someone who doesn't deserve it, benefits me. I've learned whether or not I can depend on certain people, and I'll know not to next time, which also benefits me. So, while frustrating, in the end, I did well, I'm doing well, and they won't be able to skate by forever. Someday these coat-tail riders will have to do something themselves, and then it will be painfully apparent to their superiors (who don't give C's in the real world!) that someone else is willing to work hard for the chance they're throwing away.

Call it karma or come-uppance, they'll get their life lesson. You and me, we'll just keep working hard to make sure when OUR chances come around, we're worthy of the challenge!"

Comments

  1. I loved your comment, andd since I couldn't retrieve the post, I put it on another post. You are a jewel, and you really helped me. A post-script to this story: a gal from my class stopped me in the parking lot today. She asked if she could be in my study group next time we have a test. Another girl that I had studied with (and passed along my notes) had passed my notes to her. She said, "They were amazing!" And she felt like that contributed to her first "A" in nursing school. Wow, that made it worthwhile right there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Diplomas: All of them. I think.

De Groote Museum

Classroom Architect